The outdoor classroom ages 3-7 : using ideas from forest schools to enrich learning
- Constable, Karen.
- Milton Park, Abingdon, Oxon ; New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xiii, 110 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LB1047 .C73 2012
- Unknown LB1047 .C73 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- 1. What is an outdoor classroom and how does it enhance children's learning? 2. The implications for settings using the outdoor classroom 3. Using topic based learning in the outdoor classroom 4. How do activities and experiences in the outdoor classroom fit in the curriculum? 5. The outdoor classroom in practice 6. Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The outdoor area is now an integral part of many early years settings and schools, but is it being used to its full potential? This book clearly explains the learning potential of the outdoor environment and practically demonstrates how the 'Outdoor Classroom' can be developed in early years settings and schools. Drawing on the Forest School approach, it aims to inspire practitioners to think creatively about their outside area and how they can provide rich play opportunities for children that will further their learning regardless of any time, space or financial restraints. Emphasising the importance of continuity for young children, the book shows how good practice in the early years can be built on in Reception and Key Stage 1 and covers: What is the outdoor classroom and how does it enhance children's learning? How experiences in the Outdoor Classroom can support the early years and Key Stage 1 curricula The implications for schools using the outdoor classroom including resources, timetabling, space, parental and staff opposition Guidance on planning Activities and ideas for using the Outdoor Classroom Including practical examples and detailed case studies taken from a wide range of settings and schools, this handy text will help you to get the most out of your outside area.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Karen Constable ; edited by Sandy Green.