[Elegischer Gesange, opus 118]
All materials are stored offsite. Request items 2 business days in advance. Maximum 5 items per day.
Memorial Library of Music (non-circulating)
- In-library use MLM 42
- Publication date
- Title from Catalogue of the Memorial Library of Music, 1950, p. 14.
- "This square page is from a sketchbook and represents the left-hand half of an oblong page, and of course the verso, with little music on it but signed attestations, is the right-hand half of anoblong page. The recto is conceddrned with sketches for op. 118 (they are hard to make sense of, since only the left half of each musical line is present; but the passage on staves 6 and 7 is a version of bars 33-35 of the published work). These sketches extend on to the verso, but apparently end at the top two staves (the incomplete word with the beginning cut off, is "Vollendet", the last word of op. 118. The Beethoven begins a them for a sonata, "poco adagio", 2/4 time in A major. The continuation of this theme, which would presumably go on to the beginning the next two lines, is of course lost."--letter from Alan Tyson (April 12, 1968) inserted in the Catalogue of the Memorial Library of Music, 1950.
- "I have no doubt whatever that this ms is truly the handwriting of Beethoven. H. Gauntlett 23rd Feb. 1857. Written at the desire of S. Raffles, at Field House, Bradford, Yorkshire--inscription in blue ink.
- "The above is the attestation of H. Gauntlett, Musc. Doc. S. Raffles"--inscription in blue ink.
- Van Patten, N. Catalogue of the Memorial Library of Music, page 14.