Watkins, John J. author.
- Publication date:
- Copyright date:
- Paperback reissue, for the Princeton puzzlers series.
- Princeton ; Oxford : Princeton University Press, 2012.
- Copyright notice:
- x, 257 pages : illustrations ; 22 cm.
Includes bibliographical references (pages 247-249) and index.
- Knight's Tours
- The Knight's Tour Problem
- Magic Squares
- The Torus and the Cylinder
- The Klein Bottle and Other Variations
- Queens Domination
- Domination on Other Surfaces
- Other Surfaces, Other Variations
- Eulerian Squares
"Across the Board is the definitive work on chessboard problems. It is not simply about chess but the chessboard itself - that simple grid of squares so common to games around the world. And, more importantly, the fascinating mathematics behind it. From the Knight's Tour Problem and Queens Domination to their many variations, John Watkins surveys all the well-known problems in this fertile area of recreational mathematics." "Showing that chess puzzles are the starting point for important mathematical ideas that have resonated for centuries, Across the Board will captivate students and instructors, mathematicians, chess enthusiasts, and puzzle devotees."--BOOK JACKET.