The Oxford history of Western music
- Taruskin, Richard.
- College ed.
- New York : Oxford University Press, c2013.
- Physical description
- xxxiii, 1,212 p. : ill., music ; 27 cm.
ML160 .T182 2013
- Unknown ML160 .T182 2013
- Gibbs, Christopher Howard.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 1161-1168) and index.
- The first literate repertory in Western music : Gregorian chant
- Secular and cathedral music in the High Middle Ages
- The Ars nova : musical developments in the fourteenth century
- Island and mainland : toward a Pan-European style
- A perfected art : church polyphony in the late fifteenth and sixteenth centuries
- After perfection : pressures for change
- Humanism and the birth of opera
- Music travels : trends in Italy, Germany, France, and England
- The height of Italian dominance : opera seria and the Italian concerto style
- Class of 1685 (I) : the instrumental music of Bach and Handel
- Class of 1685 (II) : the vocal music of Handel and Bach
- Mid-eighteenth-century stylistic changes : from Bach's sons to the comic style
- Concert life lifts off : Haydn
- The composer's voice : Mozart
- The emergence of romanticism
- Opera in the age of Rossini, Bellini, Donizetti, and Weber
- Private art : Schubert and inwardness
- Romantic spectacles : from virtuosos to grand opera
- Literary musicians
- Music imported and exported
- Musical politics at mid-century : historicism and the New German School
- Class of 1813 : Wagner and Verdi
- Slavic harmony and disharmony
- The musical museum and the return of the symphony
- Dramatic alternatives : exoticism, operetta, and verismo
- Early Austro-German modernism : Mahler, Strauss, and Schoenberg
- Modernism in France
- National monuments
- Neoclassicism and 12-tone music
- Interwar currents : the roaring twenties
- Music and totalitarianism in the Soviet Union and Western Europe
- Music and politics in America and Allied Europe
- Starting from scratch : music in the aftermath of World War II
- Changes in the sixties and seventies.
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
Table of contents only
- Publication date
- Richard Taruskin, Christopher H. Gibbs.
- Title Variation
- History of Western music
- Western music