Educational interventions for students with autism
- 1st ed.
- San Francisco, CA : Jossey-Bass, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxiv, 309 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
LC4718 .E45 2012
- Unknown LC4718 .E45 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 253-291) and index.
- Acknowledgments ix About the Editors xi About The Mind Institute xiii About the Contributors xv Foreword by Leonard Abbeduto xxiii PART ONE The Educational Needs of Children with Autism 1 ONE Effects of Autism on Social Learning and Social Attention 3 Peter Mundy, Ann M. Mastergeorge, and Nancy S. McIntyre TWO Evidence-Based Instructional Interventions 35 Wendy Machalicek PART ONE Summary and Synthesis 55 PART TWO Educational Best Practices and Interventions for Children with Autism 59 THREE Educational Interventions for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders 61 Marianne L. Barton and Deborah Fein FOUR Improving Educational Interventions for School-Age Children with Autism Without Intellectual Disabilities 87 Lynn Kern Koegel, Robert L. Koegel, Jenna K. Chin, and Brittany L. Koegel F I V E Translating Evidence-Based Practices from the Laboratory to Schools: Classroom Pivotal Response Teaching 107 Laura Schreibman, Jessica Suhrheinrich, Aubyn C. Stahmer, and Sarah R. Reed S I X Facilitating the Use of Evidence-Based Practices in Classrooms: The National Professional Development Center Model 131 Ellen L. Franzone, Suzanne Kucharczyk, Lisa Sullivan, and Kate Szidon SEVEN Technology for Staff Training, Collaboration, and Supervision in School-Based Programs for Children with Autism 155 Robyn M. Catagnus, Jamie Pagliaro, and Bridget A. Taylor P A R T TWO Summary and Synthesis 177 P A R T T H R E E The Roles of School Staff, Administrators, and Families 181 EIGHT The Role of School Administrators in Working with Children and Families Affected by Autism Spectrum Disorders 183 Cynthia M. Herr N INE Incorporating Parent Training into School Curricula for Children with Autism Spectrum Disorders 207 Brooke Ingersoll and Allison Wainer PART T H R E E Summary and Synthesis 225 Appendix: Questions for Discussion 229 Notes 235 References 253 Index 293 The UC Davis MIND Institute Autism for Educators Series.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This important volume provides information from national authorities on topics related to deepening educators' understanding of the issues and best practices involved in education for autism. To best meet the practical needs of teachers, parents, and school administrators, the editors will provide integrative summaries throughout the book, with recommendations for classroom use. Topics covered include: autism and its impact on schools; a teacher's view of autism and the classroom; best practices and challenges of working with students with ASD in the classroom; working with high-functioning autism (HFA) in schools; successful community-school partnerships; and options for teacher training.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Peter Mundy and Ann M. Mastergeorge, editors.
- U.C. Davis M.I.N.D. Institute Autism for Educators series