Mass education and the limits of state building, c.1870-1930
- Houndmills, Basingstoke, Hampshire ; New York, NY : Palgrave Macmillan, 2012.
- Physical description
- x, 325 p. ; 24 cm.
LC71 .M337 2012
- Unknown LC71 .M337 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Citizenship, moral education and the English elementary school / Susannah Wright
- Elite education and the development of mass elementary schooling in England, 1870-1930 / Heather Ellis
- Faith and nationhood: church, state and the provision of schooling in Ireland, 1870-1930 / Deirdre Raftery and Martina Relihan
- From the Zwergschule (one-room schoolhouse) to the comprehensive school: German elementary schools in imperial Germany and the Weimar Republic, 1870-1930 / Gunilla Budde
- Schools are society's salvation: the state and mass education in France, 1870-1930 / Jean-François Chanet
- Russia and the Soviet Union: schooling, citizenship, and the reach of the state, 1870-1945 / Ben Eklof
- "To become good members of civil society and patriotic Americans": mass education in the United States, 1870-1930 / Ellen Berg
- Primary education and the construction of citizenship in Brazil, 1870-1930: progress and tensions / Maria Cristina Soares de Gouvea and Alessandra Frota Schueller
- The role of mass education in nation building in the Ottoman Empire and the Turkish Republic, 1870-1930 / Nazan Cicek
- "Education for every son and daughter of South Africa": race, class and the compulsory education debate in the Cape Colony / S. E. Duff
- India's trials with citizenship, modernisation, and nationhood / Nita Kumar.
- Publication date
- edited By Laurence Brockliss and Nicola Sheldon.