Doorway to hell : disaster in Somalia
- Wheeler, Ed.
- London : Frontline Books, 2012.
- Physical description
- x, 269 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 236-251) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Spring, 1993: Most of Somalia outside of Mogadishu was secured. Then something went wrong...It started as a mission of mercy-to feed the hungry, cure the sick and bring peace to a country ravaged by civil war. No formal government or organised infrastructure existed in this fourth world country governed by warlords and their armed bands of 'gunmen'. Operations Restore Hope and Continue Hope were planned and implemented with the aim of bringing order to chaos. Unfortunately, what should have been a victory for the United Nations deteriorated into a humiliating defeat of massive proportions.Why did America and the UN allow under-armed forces to commit to an open-ended mission of 'nation-building'?What was the real strategic, tactical and economic importance of Somalia to Western Powers?The answers to these questions and more are investigated in this brilliantly researched and moving expose of this bloody mission. This is a revised and updated paperback edition.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Ed. Wheeler & Craig Roberts.