African American students in urban schools : critical issues and solutions for achievement
- New York : P. Lang, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiii, 328 p. ; 23 cm.
- Educational psychology (New York, N.Y.) v. 4.
LC2717 .A475 2012
- Unknown LC2717 .A475 2012
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Contents: Donna Y. Ford: Foreword: A Long-Needed and Refreshing Book - James L. Moore III/Chance W. Lewis: Confronting the Dilemmas of Urban Education: The Scope of the Book - Chance W. Lewis/Terah Venzant Chambers/Bettie Ray Butler: Urban Education in the 21st Century: An Overview of Selected Issues That Impact African American Student Outcomes - Cheryl Holcomb-McCoy/Beverly Booker: Meeting the Academic and Social Needs of Urban African American Students: Implications for School Counselors - Alfred W. Tatum: Nurturing Resiliency Among African American Adolescent Males: A Focus on Writing - Gwendolyn Cartledge/Lenwood Gibson Jr/Starr E. Keyes: Special Education and Disciplinary Disproportionality of African American Students - Edward C. Fletcher Jr: Trends and Patterns of Career and Technical Education for Urban African American Students - Desiree Vega/James L. Moore III/Caroline A. Baker/Nikol V. Bowen/Erik M. Hines/Barbara O'Neal: Salient Factors Affecting Urban African American Students' Achievement: Recommendations for Teachers, School Counselors, and School Psychologists - H. Richard Milner IV: Developing Culturally Relevant Classrooms for Urban African American Students - Robert Q. Berry III/Temple A. Walkowiak: Using Culturally Relevant Pedagogy and Social Justice to Understand Mathematics Instructional Quality in an Urban Context - Bryan A. Brown/Matthew Kloser/J. Bryan Henderson: Bridging the Culture of Urban Students to the Culture of Science: The Roles of Culturally Relevant Pedagogy, Discursive Identity, and Conceptual Continuities in the Promotion of Scientific Literacy - Christopher Dunbar Jr/Laura McNeal: Urban School Administrators: A Grassroots Approach to No Child Left Behind Mandates - Floyd D. Beachum/Carlos R. McCray: The Fast and the Serious: Exploring the Notion of Culturally Relevant Leadership - Mavis G. Sanders/Gilda Martinez-Alda/Michelle D. White: Reaching Out: Partnering With the Families and Communities of African American Urban Youth - Fred A. Bonner II/John W. Murry Jr: Inside Information on High-Achieving African American Male College Students - LaTrelle D. Jackson/W. Max Parker/Lamont A. Flowers: In the Pursuit of Excellence: Examining the Effects of Racial Identity on African American College Students' Academic Orientations.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- African American Students in Urban Schools offers readers a critical yet comprehensive examination of the issues affecting African American students' outcomes in urban school systems and beyond. Across disciplines including teacher education, school counseling, school psychology, gifted education, career and technical education, higher education, and more, chapters use theoretical and conceptual analysis and research-based evidence to examine the unique challenges facing urban African American students and illustrate what can be done to help. This book will enable readers to better understand many of the complex and multifaceted dilemmas faced by today's urban school systems and will motivate readers to make a commitment to improve urban schools for the betterment of African American students.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by James L. Moore III & Chance W. Lewis.
- Educational psychology: critical pedagogical perspectives, 1943-8109 ; v. 4