The Blackwell companion to social movements
- Malden, MA : Blackwell Pub., c2007.
- Physical description
- xvii, 754 p. ; 25 cm.
- Blackwell companions to sociology.
HM881 .B53 2007
- Unknown HM881 .B53 2007
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: Mapping the terrain / David A. Snow, Sarah A. Soule, and Hanspeter Kriesi
- Protest in time and space : the evolution of waves of contention / Ruud Koopmans
- The strange career of strain and breakdown theories of collective action / Steven M. Buechler
- Political context and opportunity / Hanspeter Kriesi
- The cultural contexts of collective action : constraints, opportunities, and the symbolic life of social movements / Rhys H. Williams
- Resources and social movement mobilization / Bob Edwards and John D. McCarthy
- Beyond the iron law : rethinking the place of organizations in social movement research / Elisabeth S. Clemens and Debra C. Minkoff
- Leadership in social movements / Aldon D. Morris and Suzanne Staggenborg
- Movement allies, adversaries, and third parties / Dieter Rucht
- Policing social protest / Donatella della Porta and Olivier Fillieule
- Bystanders, public opinion, and the media / William A. Gamson
- "Get up, stand up" : tactical repertoires of social movements / Verta Taylor and Nella Van Dyke
- Diffusion processes within and across movements / Sarah A. Soule
- Transnational processes and movements / Jackie Smith
- Networks and participation / Mario Diani
- The demand and supply of participation : social-psychological correlates of participation in social movements / Bert Klandermans
- Framing processes, ideology, and discursive fields / David A. Snow
- Emotional dimensions of social movements / Jeff Goodwin, James M. Jasper, and Francesca Polletta
- Collective identity, solidarity, and commitment / Scott A. Hunt and Robert D. Benford
- The legislative, organizational, and beneficiary consequences of state-oriented challengers / Edwin Amenta and Neal Caren
- Personal and biographical consequences / Marco G. Giugni
- The cultural consequences of social movements / Jennifer Earl
- The consequences of social movements for each other / Nancy Whittier
- The labor movement in motion / Rick Fantasia and Judith Stepan-Norris
- Feminism and the women's movement : a global perspective / Myra Marx Ferree and Carol McClurg Mueller
- Environmental movements / Christopher Rootes
- Antiwar and peace movements / Sam Marullo and David S. Meyer
- Ethnic and nationalist social movements / Susan Olzak
- Religious movements / Fred Kniss and Gene Burns.
- Social movements.
- Reprint/reissue date
- Original date
- edited by David Snow, Sarah A. Soule and Hanspeter Kriesi.
- Title Variation
- Companion to social movements
- Social movements
- Blackwell companions to sociology
- Originally published as hbk.: c2004.