Sketches in democracy : notes from an urban classroom
- DeLorenzo, Lisa C. (Lisa Carey)
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- xix, 136 p. ; 24 cm.
LC5131 .D37 2012
- Unknown LC5131 .D37 2012
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Acknowledgments Foreword by Nicholas M. Michelli Preface Chapter 1. Birthing a School While Still In Labor Chapter 2. The Trouble With Mismatched Expectations Chapter 3. Playing School Is Not The Real Thing Chapter 4. They Danced While We Looked Away Chapter 5. Teachable Moments, Part I Chapter 6. Teachable Moments, Part II Chapter 7. Mid-Year Reflection Chapter 8. When Students Want To Learn Chapter 9. White Teachers, Urban Schools Chapter 10. The Democratic School: Is It Worth It? Chapter 11. The Arts As Democratic Practice Chapter 12. Lessons Learned Epilogue End Notes.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Sketches of Democracy is a captivating book that chronicles the first year in the life of a new urban high school. Based on journal entries and educational literature, this book traces the author's challenging journey toward creating a democratic community of learners within a tangle of socio-economic and political issues. An experienced public school teacher and university educator, DeLorenzo brings a unique perspective to the teaching/learning process. Her poignant anecdotal stories, along with information from authoritative sources, provide a narrative that is deeply reflective and affecting. This book is a must-read for teachers, teacher candidates, and teacher educators who share a passion for teaching those on the margins of society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Lisa C. DeLorenzo.