Education networks : power, wealth, cyberspace, and the digital mind
- Spring, Joel H.
- New York, NY : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- ix, 195 p. ; 23 cm.
- Sociocultural, political, and historical studies in education.
LB1028.3 .S637 2012
- Unknown LB1028.3 .S637 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Chapter 1 The Digital Mind, Superclass Networks and Education Chapter 2 Shadow Elites, Global Networks, and the Education Industry Chapter 3 Educational Policies and ICT: Superclass and Shadow Elites Chapter 4 Educators Embrace Gaming and Online Instruction Chapter 5 The Digital Minds and Brains of Students Chapter 6 Political Education and Liberation Technology Chapter 7 Schools of Tomorrow: The Effect of Technological Evolution Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Education Networks is a critical analysis of the emerging intersection among the global power elite, information and communication technology, and schools. Joel Spring documents and examines the economic and political interests and forces -including elite networks, the for-profit education industry, data managers, and professional educators - that are pushing the use of ICT for online instruction, test preparation and tutoring, data management, instructional software packages, and more , and looks closely at the impact this is having on schools, students, and learning. Making a distinction between "mind" (as socially constructed) and "brain" (as a physiological entity), Spring draws on recent findings from comparative psychology on the possible effects of ICT on the social construction of the minds of students and school managers, and from neuroscience regarding its effect on students' brains. Throughout, the influence of elite networks and powerful interest groups is linked to what is happening to children in classrooms. In conclusion Spring offers bold suggestions to change the course of the looming technological triumph of ICT in the "brave new world" of schooling.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Joel Spring.
- Sociocultural, political, and historical studies in education