Introduction to probability and statistics
- Mendenhall, William.
- 14th ed., International ed.
- Pacific Grove, Calif. : Brooks/Cole ; Andover : Cengage Learning [distributor], 2013.
- Physical description
- xxi, 721 p. : ill ; 26 cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Introduction: What Is Statistics? 1. Describing Data with Graphs. 2. Describing Data with Numerical Measures. 3. Describing Bivariate Data. 4. Probability and Probability Distributions. 5. Several Useful Discrete Distributions. 6. The Normal Probability Distribution. 7. Sampling Distributions. 8. Large-Sample Estimation. 9. Large-Sample Tests of Hypotheses. 10. Inference from Small Samples. 11. The Analysis of Variance. 12. Linear Regression and Correlation. 13. Multiple Regression Analysis. 14. Analysis of Categorical Data. 15. Nonparametric Statistics. Appendix I: Tables. Answers to Selected Exercises.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Used by hundreds of thousands of students, "Introduction To Probability And Statistics, 14/e, International Edition" blends proven coverage with new innovations to ensure you gain a solid understanding of statistical concepts - and see their relevance to your everyday life. The new edition retains the text's straightforward presentation and traditional outline for descriptive and inferential statistics while incorporating modern technology - including computational software and interactive visual tools - to help you master statistical reasoning and skillfully interpret statistical results. Drawing from decades of classroom teaching experience, the authors clearly illustrate how to apply statistical procedures as they explain how to describe real sets of data, what statistical tests mean in terms of practical application, how to evaluate the validity of the assumptions behind statistical tests, and what to do when statistical assumptions have been violated. Statistics can be an intimidating course, but with this text you will be well prepared. With its thorough explanations, insightful examples, practical exercises, and innovative technology features, this text equips you with a firm foundation in statistical concepts, as well as the tools to apply them to the world around you.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- William Mendenhall, Robert J. Beaver, Barbara M. Beaver.
- Previous ed.: 2009.