Cave art : a guide to the decorated Ice Age caves of Europe
- Bahn, Paul G.
- Rev. and updated ed.
- London : Frances Lincoln, 2012.
- Physical description
- 248 p. : ill. (chiefly col.), maps ; 21 cm.
The Art & Architecture Library is closed July 25 - Sept. 9 during its relocation to the new McMurtry Building. The collection is not accessible during this period. Please contact Interlibrary Borrowing to obtain this title.
GN803 .B336 2012
- Unknown GN803 .B336 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Preface Cave art Maps ENGLAND Church Hole and Robin Hood's Cave FRANCE La Chaire a Calvin Font de Gaume Les Combarelles Cap Blanc Abri Pataud and Cave Pataud (Abri Movius) Rouffignac Bernifal Abri du Poisson (and Laugerie Haute) Bara-Bahau Villars Abri Reverdit (Castel-Merle) Lascaux II Musee National de Prehistoire (Les Eyzies) Cougnac Grotte des Merveilles Pech-Merle Pair Non Pair Musee d'Aquitaine Isturitz and Oxocelhaya Gargas Bedeilhac Niaux Parc de la Prehistoire Musee d'Archeologie Nationale SPAIN Covalanas Altamira II Chufin El Castillo Las Monedas Hornos de la Pena El Pendo Salitre II (Sopena) El Pindal El Buxu Tito Bustillo La Loja La Pena de Candamo (and Interpretation Centre) Los Casares La Pileta Ardales (Cueva de Dona Trinidad) Ambrosio Siega Verde Domingo Garcia (Cerro de San Isidro) Museo Arqueologico Nacional PORTUGAL Escoural Coa Valley ITALY Levanzo (Grotta del Genovese) Grotta dei Puntali - Carini (PA) Grotta del Caviglione e Balzi Rossi Riparo de Romito Acknowledgments Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- The decorated Ice Age caves are some of mankind's greatest artistic achievements, and there is no substitute for seeing the caves themselves. There you can see the art - paintings, engravings, bas-reliefs or drawings - in its original, natural setting, and stand where the artists did 30,000-10,000 years ago. For speleologists and holidaymakers alike - indeed anyone who wants to add a visit to a cave to their itinerary - here is an essential handbook. The first guide to all the decorated Ice Age caves in Europe that are open to the public, Cave Art covers more than 50 caves in England, France, Spain, Portugal and Italy, as well as relevant museums and centres. This second edition has been fully revised and includes three additional caves and four new facsimiles.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Paul G. Bahn.
- Previous ed.: 2007.