More than a test score : strategies for empowering youth at risk
- Strickland, Melinda, 1960-
- Lanham, Md. : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- x, 125 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
LC4091 .S733 2012
- Unknown LC4091 .S733 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 123-124).
- Foreword by Franklin Schargel Introduction Chapter 1: The Power of the Test Score Chapter 2: MIA: Mission in Action Service Learning Chapter 3: A-B-C It's Easy as 1-2-3 Academic Strategies Chapter 4: From Zeroes to Heroes The Tier Factor Program Behavior Strategy Chapter 5: Connecting the Dots ... Social/Community Strategies Chapter 6: Beyond Brick and Mortar Parent Strategies Chapter 7: Running on Empty Voices of Student Success Conclusion Appendices A Weight Training Work-Out Chart B An Ounce of Prevention C How is Obesity More than just Being Overweight? D Weekly Goal Sheet E Student Goal Sheet F Student Sample Goal Sheet.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- No matter what variety of educational program is used to motivate students the bottom line is knowing the people within the circle of influence are behind every effort the student faces. Our students are the future leaders, parents, workers and citizens of our society. While tests and accountability are very important; the outcome is far greater than basing achievement on individual performance on tests. Information included in More Than a Test Score, derives from educators who empower students to take ownership in their educational journey by using a variety of strategies and programs to meet the needs of the students. The strategies target academic, behavioral and social components in education. Each successful program has one common element that rises above anything else and that is the element called empowerment! Building relationships is one of the main keys to success in school and every endeavor faced by the youth of our society. Success stories are included to show how caring has made a difference with all those involved.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Melinda Strickland ; foreword by Franklin P. Schargel.