Paulo Freire's philosophy of education : origins, developments, impacts and legacies
- Irwin, Jones.
- London ; New York : Continuum International Pub., c2012.
- Physical description
- 233 p. ; 25 cm.
LB880 .F732 I78 2012
- Unknown LB880 .F732 I78 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -219) and index.
- Part I. Paulo Freire: Origins and Development-- 1. Origin and Expression in Pedagogy of the Oppressed-- 2. A Process of Continual Questioning: On Freire's Mid-Period Work-- 3. A Progressive Postmodernism?: On Freire's Later Work-- Part II. Freirean Impacts: Against Sectarianism, For Radicalisation-- 4. The Politicisation of the Spirit: Freire, Liberation Theology and Latin America-- 5. Freire and the May '68 Generation: On Marxism and Anarchism in France-- 6. Putting Critical Pedagogy into Praxis: Mc Laren, Giroux and Freire in Leftist America-- Part III: The Legacies of Paulo Freire-- 7. After the Rebirth of God: Freire and Radical Orthodoxy-- 8. The Futures of Critical Pedagogy: Where to Now?-- 9. The Politics and Pedagogy of Contemporary Youth Culture: On Freire and the Birmingham CCCS-- Bibliography-- Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This is a critique of Freire's thinking, the influence of his work and ways in which his theories may be developed into the future. This is a critical exploration of the genealogy of Freire's thinking and the way in which Freire's work has influenced philosophical and political movements, offering an analysis of how Freire's work might be developed for the future. Irwin explores Freire's philosophy of education, which balanced traditional ethical and spiritual concerns with contemporary ideas and drew upon Christian and Hegelian Marxist thought and insights from existentialism and psychoanalysis. The impact of Freire's work and legacies are considered, drawing on his emphasis on the need for praxis to bring about real and progressive change. This essential guide to Freire's work and legacy will prove invaluable for postgraduate students looking at educational theory and the philosophy of education. It will also be of interest to postgraduate students looking at cultural and political theory.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Jones Irwin.