- Uniform Title
- Alles Mathematik. English.
- Providence, R.I. : American Mathematical Society, c2010.
- Physical description
- xiv, 330 p. : ill. (some col.), col. maps ; 26 cm.
QA7 .A45513 2010
- Unknown QA7 .A45513 2010
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Math becomes a cult : description of a hope / Gero von Randow
- The mathematics of the compact disc / J. H. van Lint
- Image processing and imaging for operation planning in liver surgery / Heinz-Otto Peitgen ... [et al.]
- The quickest path to the goal / Ralf Borndörfer, Martin Grötschel and Andreas Löbel
- Romeo and Juliet, spontaneous pattern formation, and Turing's instability / Bernard Fiedler
- Mathematics and intelligent materials / Stefan Müller
- Discrete tomography : from battleship to nanotechnology / Peter Gritzmann
- Reflections on reflections / Jürgen Richter-Gebert
- The role of mathematics in the financial markets / Walter Schachermayer
- Electronic money : an impossibility or already a reality? / Albrecht Beutelspacher
- Spheres in the computer : the Kepler conjecture / Martin Henk and Günter M. Ziegler
- How do quanta compute? The new world of the quantum computer / Ehrhard Behrends
- Fermat's last theorem : the solution of a 300-year-old problem / Jürg Kramer
- A short history of the Nash equilibrium / Karl Sigmund
- Mathematics in the climate of global change / Rupert Klein
- The central theme : prime numbers, secret codes and the boundaries of computability / Martin Aigner
- The mathematics of knots / Elmar Vogt
- On soap bubbles / Dirk Ferus
- Heat diffusion, the structure of space and the Poincaré Conjecture / Klaus Ecker
- Chance and mathematics : a late love / Ehrhard Behrends
- The prospects for mathematics in a multi-media civilization / Philip J. Davis.
- Mathematics is all around us. Often we do not realize it, though. Mathematics Everywhere is a collection of presentations on the role of mathematics in everyday life, through science, technology, and culture. The common theme is the unique position of mathematics as the art of pure thought and at the same time as a universally applicable science. The authors are renowned mathematicians; their presentations cover a wide range of topics. From compact discs to the stock exchange, from computer tomography to traffic routing, from electronic money to climate change, they make the "math inside" understandable and enjoyable. An additional attractive feature is the leisurely treatment of some hot topics that have gained prominence in recent years, such as Fermat's Theorem, Kepler's Packing problem, and the Solution of the Poincare Conjecture. Or Maybe you Have heard about the Nash equilibrium (of "A Beautiful Mind" Fame), or the Strange future of quantum computers, and want to know what it is all about? Well, open the book and take an up-to-date trip into the fascinating world of the mathematics all around us. --Book Jacket.
- Publication date
- Martin Aigner, Ehrhard Behrends, editors ; translated by Philip G. Spain.
- Translated from the German: Alles Mathematik. 3rd ed. Wiesbaden : Vieweg + Teubner, 2009.