Adolescent literacies in a multicultural context
- New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xvii, 242 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
- Routledge research in education 74.
LB1631 .A34379 2012
- Unknown LB1631 .A34379 2012
- Cumming, Alister H.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -233) and index.
- "This book presents results from a four-year project addressing the central question: What factors, challenges, and contexts contribute to and constrain literacy achievement among at-risk adolescent learners with culturally diverse backgrounds? Researchers consider the importance of several, interrelated factors that support the development of adolescents' literacies in multilingual contexts: support from educators, community groups, families, and peers; recognition of the multi-faceted complexity of literacy through multiple, complementary methods of research and assessment; approaches to pedagogy that engage learners' zones of proximal development in humanistic and purposeful ways; and promoting students' vocabulary knowledge, strategies for reading, writing, and learning, and orientations to engaging with epistemic purposes of literacy critically, through multiple media, and with self-confidence"-- Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- edited by Alister Cumming.
- Routledge research in education ; 74