The arts in education : an introduction to aesthetics, theory and pedagogy
- Fleming, Michael (Michael P.)
- London ; New York : Routledge, 2012.
- Physical description
- xi, 134 p. ; 25 cm.
NX280 .F59 2012
- Unknown NX280 .F59 2012
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 119-130) and index.
- Introduction 1. Justifying the Arts 2. Theories and Definitions of Art 3. Influences on Teaching the Arts 4. Research Perspectives 5. Historical Perspectives 6. Learning In and Learning Through the Arts 7. Creativity 8. Assessment 9. Different Arts 10. Conclusion.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Do the arts improve academic achievement? What does it mean to 'teach' art? What should the balance of classic and pop be in the music curriculum? Should we encourage young children on the stage? How do we judge whether what a child produces is good? How do we justify the arts in the curriculum? What should be the balance between form and content when teaching art? The arts in education inspire considerable commitment and passion. However, this is not always matched by clarity of understanding. In this book Mike Fleming introduces the reader to key theoretical questions associated with arts education and clearly explains how these are related to practice. It offers an authoritative account of how ideas relevant to education are addressed by key authors in aesthetics, art theory and cultural studies. Covering all aspects of arts education, the book considers: definitions and theories of art influences on teaching the arts researching the arts teaching and learning creativity assessment. Throughout the book there are examples of practice to illustrate key ideas and a discussion of useful background texts with a summary of content and arguments for further exploration. Written by a leading authority in the field, it is essential reading for students on Arts PGCE and M Level courses, teachers of the arts and policy developers that require more understanding and insight into their practice.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Mike Fleming.
- "A David Fulton book"--Cover.