Education and cultural citizenship
LC191 .S692 2011
- Unknown LC191 .S692 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -164) and index.
- Introduction Cultural Citizenship, Education and Democracy Redefining the Good Society Democratic Socialism, Multiculturalism and the Third Way Questions of Education Critical Pedagogy, Democracy and Capitalism Education without Enemies or Borders Pragmaticism and Environmental Education Education in the Consumer and Information Age Education, Hope and the Politics of Fear The Resilience of Democracy and Cultural Citizenship.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This dynamic, energetic book systematically brings together the major developments in the social and political theory of education. It offers a global introduction to the major debates within the field and provides a sustained argument for a democratic and normative view of education. Stevenson provides a comprehensive view of the major disputes within social, cultural and political approaches to education. Drawing upon varied critical traditions the book helpfully connects these diverse threads of debate whilst exploring the work of key theorists. Areas explored include: * democratic notions of education, * cosmopolitanism * multiculturalism * pragmaticism * critical pedagogy * democratic socialism * liberalism * politics of fear Clearly written and passionately argued this book will be essential reading for all those interested in exploring education's changing place in society.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Nick Stevenson.
- Theory, culture & society