Diversity, merit, and higher education : toward a comprehensive agenda for the 21st century
- New York : AMS Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 351 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Readings on equal education.
371.96 .E236 V.25
- Unknown 371.96 .E236 V.25
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 344-348) and index.
- 1. Need for a 21st-century merit agenda in higher education / Philip J. Bowman
- Section I. Contested constructions of merit in the 21st century: from the big test to the diversity debate in higher education. 2. Diversity and merit in higher education: challenges and opportunities for the 21st century / Philip J. Bowman
- 3. The qualified applicant: origins of admissions tests in higher education / Krystal L. Williams
- 4. Critical analysis of merit assumptions in higher education / Edward P. St. John
- Section II. Merit and opportunity in higher education: complexities, challenges, and trends in a diversifying nation. 5. Diversity and opportunity in higher education: the role of affirmative action / Michele S. Moses, John T. Yun and Patricia Martin
- 6. Diversity, merit, and college choice: role of a dynamic sociopolitical environment / Rhana Natour, Angela Locks and Philip J. Bowman
- 7. ACT's P-16 partnerships: expanding opportunity for academic merit / Charles Ramos
- Section III. Toward a comprehensive agenda for the 21st century: expanding indicators of merit for a diversifying population. 8. Toward a strengths-based assessment system: a comprehensive social psychological approach / Philip J. Bowman
- 9. Using noncognitive variables in assessing readiness for higher education / William E. Sedlacek
- 10. Admissions, academic readiness, and student success: implications for growing a diverse education pipeline / Kurt Burkum, Steve Robbins, and Richard Phelps
- 11. Noncognitive constructs in K-16: assessments, interventions, educational and policy implications / Jeremy Burrus, Carolyn MacCann, Patrick C. Kyllonen, and Richard D. Roberts
- 12. A democratic merit agenda: an alternative approach / John A. Powell and Becky Reno
- Section IV. Bridging scholarship with comprehensive intervention. 13. Diversity and comprehensive strategies in higher education / Angela Ebreo, Gloryvee Fonsexa-Bolorin and Philip J. Bowman
- 14. Toward a 21st-century meritocracy: bridging scholarship, intervention research, and social change / Philip J. Bowman and Edward P. St. John.
- Publication date
- series and volume editors, Phillip J. Bowman, Edward P. St. John ; managing editor, Phyllis Kreger Stillman.
- Readings on equal education, 0270-1448 ; v. 25