Innovative voices in education : engaging diverse communities
- Lanham : Rowman & Littlefield Education, c2012.
- Physical description
- xx, 292 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
LC3731 .I555 2012
- Unknown LC3731 .I555 2012
- Kugler, Eileen Gale, 1950-
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Building Respectful Schools Ch. 1 - Closing The Culture Gap Ch. 2 -A Foot in Two Worlds: Immigrant Students in U.S. Schools Ch. 3 - Valuing the Individual by Breaking Through Assumptions The Personal Power of a Teacher Ch. 4 - Montana's Indian Education for All: Preparing Teacher Candidates to Embrace Culturally Responsive Pedagogy Ch. 5 - The Importance of Student Stories Ch. 6 - Serving Long-Term English Learners by Empowering Students in Two Languages Ch. 7 - Addressing Silences: Creating a Space for Classroom Conversations that Matter to Students Ch. 8 - A Calling to Teach: Helping Every Child Succeed Courageous Leaders Ch. 9 - Serving Marginalized Children: A New Principal Fights for Equity in the Trenches Ch. 10 - Forging Relationships with High School Students that Impact Learning and Achievement Ch. 11 -The Equitable Leader: Changing Beliefs and Actions Community: The Village it Takes Ch. 12 - From Survivors to Leaders: Stages of Immigrant Parent Involvement in Schools Ch 13 - Ready to Learn: The Benefits of a Neighborhood School Readiness Team Ch. 14 - The Power of Family Aspirational Values on Student Academic Success Global Perspectives Ch. 15 - International Lessons Learned After 9/11:?Encouraging Mutual Understanding and Respect in British Schools and Beyond Ch. 16 - The Passion of a Lifelong Australian Educator: Teaching Students First Ch. 17 - Multicultural to Intercultural: Developing Interdependent Learners.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Diverse schools offer enriched academic and social environments, as students and families of different backgrounds and experiences provide a vibrant mosaic of insights, perspectives, and skills. To take advantage of the unique opportunities that diversity brings, schools must value and effectively connect with students and families of all backgrounds. Committed educators are taking on this challenge with gusto, engaging their diverse communities on a daily basis. This book highlights stories from around the world, as innovative teachers, educational leaders, and community activists passionately share personal accounts of their successes, challenges, and lessons learned. These are unsung heroes, doing vital work each day, with little attention beyond the appreciation of their own school communities. The 17 chapters, each by different authors with unique experiences, provide insights, strategies, and new tools that will be of value to anyone who is concerned about improving education for all. These diverse innovative voices will inform, engage, and most of all, inspire you.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Supplemental links
- Cover image
- Publication date
- Eileen Gale Kugler, executive editor.