Adolescent literacy in the academic disciplines : general principles and practical strategies
- New York : Guilford Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xiv, 274 p. : ill ; 24 cm.
LB1631 .A344 2012
- Unknown LB1631 .A344 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Machine generated contents note: 1. Learning from Text: Adolescent Literacy from the Past Decade, Tamara L. Jetton and Richard Lee 2. The Challenges of Reading Disciplinary Texts, Zhihui Fang 3. How Disciplinary Experts Read, Cynthia Shanahan 4. A Model for Teacher Planning with Text in the Academic Disciplines, Tamara L. Jetton and Richard Lee 5. Learning with Text in English/Language Arts, Troy Hicks and Susan Steffel 6. Learning with Text in Science, Cynthia Shanahan 7. Reconceptualizing Literacy and Instruction for Mathematics Classrooms, Daniel Siebert and Roni Jo Draper 8. Learning with Texts in History: Protocols for Reading and Practical Strategies, Bruce VanSledright 9. Learning with Text in the Arts, Kathleen Moxley, James Batcheller, Larry Burditt, Sue Gamble, Alan J. Gumm, Johanna Paas, and Judy Thurston.
- "From leading authorities in both adolescent literacy and content-area teaching, this book addresses the particular challenges of literacy learning in each of the major academic disciplines. Chapters focus on how to help students successfully engage with texts and ideas in English/literature, science, math, history, and arts classrooms. The book shows that while general strategies for reading informational texts are essential, they are not enough--students also need to learn processing strategies that are quite specific to each subject and its typical tasks or problems. Vignettes from exemplary classrooms illustrate research-based ways to build content-area knowledge while targeting essential reading and writing skills"-- Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- edited by Tamara L. Jetton, Cynthia Shanahan.