Light years : conceptual art and the photograph, 1964-1977
- 1st ed.
- Chicago : Art Institute of Chicago ; New Haven : Distributed by Yale University Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- 264 p. : ill. (some col.) ; 31 cm.
N6494 .C63 L54 2011
- Unknown N6494 .C63 L54 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -257) and index.
- The unfixed photograph / Matthew S. Witkovsky
- Across the universe / Mark Godfrey
- Uninteresting pictures: photography and fact at the end of the 1960s / Joshua Shannon
- Hazarded into the blue: John Baldessari and photography in the early 1970s / Robin Kelsey
- Rona Barrett's Hollywood / Allen Ruppersberg
- Art is the copy of art: Italian photography in and after arte povera / Giuliano Sergio
- Reconfiguring representation: mechanical reproduction and the human figure in conceptual art / Anne Rorimer.
- Publisher's Summary
- Photography played a critical role in conceptual art of the 1960s and 1970s, as artists turned to photography as both medium and subject matter. Light Years offers the first major survey of the key artists of this period who used photography to new and inventive ends. Whereas some employed photographic images to create slide projections, photographic canvases, and artists' books, others integrated them into sculptural assemblages and multimedia installations. This book highlights the work of acclaimed international artists such as Vito Acconci, John Baldessari, Mel Bochner, Sol LeWitt, Bruce Nauman, Giuseppe Penone, and Ed Ruscha. Matthew Witkovsky's essay provides the larger context for photography within conceptual art, a theme that is further elaborated in texts by Mark Godfrey, Anne Rorimer, and Joshua Shannon. An essay by Robin Kelsey focuses on the pioneering work of John Baldessari in which he explored the element of chance, and an essay by Giuliano Sergio illuminates the lesser-known work of Arte Povera, an Italian movement that sought to dismantle established conventions in both the making and presentation of art.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Matthew S. Witkovsky ; with essays by Mark Godfrey ... [et al.].
- Title Variation
- Conceptual art and the photograph, 1964-1977
- "Published in conjunction with an exhibition organized by and presented at the Art Institute of Chicago from December 13, 2011, to March 11, 2012"--T.p. verso.
- "With essays by Mark Godfrey, Robin Kelsey, Anne Rorimer, Allen Ruppersberg, Giuliano Sergio, Joshua Shannon, and Matthew S. Witkovsky."