The Data toolkit : ten tools for supporting school improvement
- Hess, Robert T. (Robert Thomas), 1962-
- Thousand Oaks : Corwin Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xvii, 140 p. : ill ; 28 cm.
LB2806.17 .H47 2012
- Unknown LB2806.17 .H47 2012
- Robbins, Pam.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 133-135) and index.
- Foreword by Kate Dickson Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction Chapter 1: Build Your Team The Power of Relationships Tool 1: The Smalley Team-Building Personality Test Another Team-Building Strategy: Using Objects to Reflect Personalities High-Functioning Teams Improvement Means Change, and Change Means Conflict Understanding How Change Occurs Team Member Roles and Responsibilities TIPS Framework for Data Teams Additional Helpful Hints Chapter 2: Identify the Problem: Using Data to Transform Our Intentions Tool 2: Identify the Problem Using Data to Unpack the Problem of Mobility Vertical Alignment and Mobility Using Identify the Problem in a Classroom Data Reflection Helps Budget Woes A Happy Ending to Budget Woes In the Field: Identify the Problem Putting It All Together Chapter 3: The Three Guiding Questions: Making Instruction Work Data and Conversation Tool 3: Three Guiding Questions How to Use Three Guiding Questions Asking the Right Questions The Power of Thinking Corbett: A District That Thinks Conversation Promotes Thinking and Reflection In the Field: Three Guiding Questions Putting It All Together Chapter 4: Analyze Your Students: Let the Data Decide Teach to the Top Analyzing Driving Quantitatively Creating the Standard Measuring to a Standard The Kennewick Model Analyzing Students in Local Districts Classroom Example In the Field: A Kindergarten Success Putting It All Together Chapter 5: Four Quadrants: Creating Crosshairs With Data Tool 5: Four Quadrants: Creating Crosshairs With Data Reeves's Four Quadrants: Lucky, Leader, Loser, and Learner Using the Four Quadrants to Gauge RTI Progress Using the Four Quadrants to Analyze Classroom Data Classroom Example: Third-Grade Classroom Data in Four Quadrants Using the Four Quadrants to Analyze Grade-Level, School-Level, and District-Level Data Teacher and Principal Effectiveness in Four Quadrants Instructional Leadership Standards for Principals Building Management Standards for Principals Teacher Effectiveness in the Four Quadrants Classroom-Based Instructional Standards Non-Classroom-Based Standards In The Field: Analyzing Freshman Failures Putting It All Together Chapter 6: Wagon Wheel: Using Multiple Points of Data to Drive Instruction Tool 6: Wagon Wheel Mapping Fourth-Grade Writing on the Wagon Wheel Reflecting on the Data Using the Wagon Wheel to Measure InTASC Standards Learner and Learning Content Knowledge Instructional Practice Professional Responsibility In The Field: Using the Wagon Wheel to Analyze RTI Effectiveness Putting It All Together Chapter 7: Five Whys: The Power of Questions Tool 7: Five Whys Persistent Achievement Gaps A Diverse District Beating the Odds Schools Beating the Odds The Power of Working Together Teaching Students to Think 21st Century Skills: The Future is Now In The Field: Implementing a Core Program Putting It All Together Chapter 8: Relations Diagram: Discovering the Key Drivers Tool 8: Relations Diagram Tackling Discipline Problems Motivating Students In The Field: READ 180 Revisited Putting It All Together Chapter 9: The Fishbone: Making a Difference With Data Leadership Matters Real Education Reform Making a Difference in the Classroom Tool 9: The Fishbone Improving Tenth-Grade Math Scores Everyone Writes In The Field: Green Acres, The Place to Be Putting It All Together Chapter 10: School Improvement Mapping: Making Strategic Decisions and Taking Action Tool 10: School Improvement Mapping Goal Setting Using Data to Drive Goals Clear Strategies Specific Actions Improving Writing Districtwide with Goals, Strategies, and Actions Creating the Building Blocks of Excellence Hiring the Best Professional Development Evaluation for Meaningful Feedback Improving Instructional Feedback The Power of Mentoring as an Improvement Tool Moving to the Next Level: A New Model of Systemic Improvement Running in Circles Collaboration = Connectivity Stepping Up to Collaboration In The Field: High School Mentoring Project Putting It All Together 11. Now What? Using the Tools in the Classroom, School, and District Tool 1: The Smalley Team-Building Personality Test Tool 2: Identify the Problem Tool 3: Three Guiding Questions Tool 4: Analyze Your Students Tool 5: Four Quadrants Tool 6: Wagon Wheel Tool 7: Five Whys Tool 8: Relations Diagram Tool 9: The Fishbone Tool 10: School Improvement Mapping References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- How to accelerate analysis into action Using data for school improvement is a key goal of Race to the Top, therefore now is the time to make data-driven school improvement a priority. However, many educators are drowning in data. Boost your professional learning community's ability to translate data into action with this newest book from Robert T. Hess and Pamela M. Robbins. The Data Toolkit provides ten easy-to-use tools that don't require statistical expertise, can be implemented in a timely manner, and facilitate problem-solving at classroom, school, and district levels. These proven methods help educators: * Frame the questions* Drive the conversation* Engage in productive reflection* Uncover understandings* Create a data-driven plan* Achieve and monitor results Written in an educator-friendly format each chapter contains instructions on using the tool, a sample scenario, and examples-practical tools that will help your PLC be the best it can be. Also included are case studies that show how data teams, PLCs, and individual teachers have used the book's methods in their own settings. The culminating school improvement mapping tool guides the team through designing an action plan focused on increasing student learning and achievement outcomes. View blank template of tool #3, Guiding Questions, here View sample completed template here.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Robert T. Hess, Pam Robbins ; foreword by Kate Dickson.