Taking sides. Clashing views on moral issues
- Satris, Stephen.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Unit 1. Fundamental issues in morality. Issue 1. Is moral relativism correct? ; Issue 2. Does morality need religion?
- Unit 2. Gender, sex, and reproduction. Issue 3. Must sex involve commitment? ; Issue 4. Is abortion moral? ; Issue 5. Is it right to prohibit same-sex marriage? ; Issue 6. Should human cloning be banned?
- Unit 3. Law and society. Issue 7. Is cloning pets ethically justified? ; Issue 8. Should Congress allow the buying and selling of human organs? ; Issue 9. Should drugs be legalized?
- Issue 10. Is price gouging wrong? ; Issue 11. Is affirmative action fair? ; Issue 12. Should the death penalty be abolished? ; Issue 13. Is torture ever justified? ; Issue 14. Is physician-assisted suicide wrong?
- Unit 4. Human beings and other species. Issue 15. Does morality require vegetarianism?
- This volume presents current controversial issues surrounding moral issues in America in a debate-style format designed to stimulate student interest and develop critical thinking skills. It contains 30 essays, arranged in pro and con pairs, addressing 15 controversial issues in morality and moral philosophy. Some of the questions that are included here have been in the mainstream of moral philosophy for hundreds (or even thousands) of years and are central to the discipline. The author also includes abstract questions about relativism and the relationship between morality and religion. Other questions relate to specific topics of contemporary concern, such as human cloning, abortion, affirmative action, and drug legalization. The interdisciplinary nature of the selections provides students with much needed different perspectives on issues. This topic is framed with a general summary and introduction, and a postscript or challenge questions. This work features an annotated listing of selected World Wide Web sites and an online instructor's resource guide with testing material available.
- Publication date
- selected, edited, and with introductions by Stephen Satris.
- Title Variation
- Clashing views on moral issues
- Moral issues
- Contemporary learning series
- Taking sides