Creating the opportunity to learn : moving from research to practice to close the achievement gap
- Boykin, A. Wade, 1947-
- Alexandria, Va. : ASCD, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiii, 231 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LC2717 .B59 2011
- Unknown LC2717 .B59 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 203-221) and index.
- Understanding the achievement gap
- What are the dimensions of the gap?
- What's race got to do with it?
- Analyzing the research
- Guiding functions
- Asset-focused factors: interpersonal relationships
- Asset-focused factors: intersubjectivity
- Asset-focused factors: information-processing quality
- Applying what we know
- Why are some schools making more progress than others?
- What can we do to close the gap?
- In Creating the Opportunity to Learn, Wade Boykin and Pedro Noguera help navigate the waters of evidence-based methodologies and chart a course toward closing (and eliminating) the academic achievement gap. The authors maintain that it is possible to close the gap by abandoning failed strategies, learning from successful schools, and simply doing more of what the research shows is most effective. --From publisher's description.
- Publication date
- A. Wade Boykin, Pedro Noguera.