10 things every writer needs to know
- Anderson, Jeff, 1966-
- Portland, Me. : Stenhouse Publishers, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiii, 287 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LB1576 .A54 2011
- Unknown LB1576 .A54 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 267-279) and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- Whether writing a blog entry or a high-stakes test essay, fiction or nonfiction, short story or argumentation, students need to know certain things in order to write effectively. In "10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know, " Jeff Anderson focuses on developing the concepts and application of ten essential aspects of good writing--motion, models, focus, detail, form, frames, cohesion, energy, words, and clutter.Throughout the book, Jeff provides dozens of model texts, both fiction and nonfiction, that bring alive the ten things every writer needs to know. By analyzing strong mentor texts, young writers learn what is possible and experiment with the strategies professional writers use. Students explore, discover, and apply what makes good writing work. Jeff dedicates a chapter to each of the ten things every writer needs to know and provides mini-lessons, mentor texts, writing process strategies, and classroom tips that will motivate students to confidently and competently take on any writing task.With standardized tests and Common Core Curriculum influencing classrooms nationwide, educators must stay true to what works in writing instruction. "10 Things Every Writer Needs to Know" keeps teachers on track--encouraging, discovering, inspiring, reminding, and improving writing through conversation, inquiry, and the support of good writing behaviors.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Jeff Anderson.
- Title Variation
- Ten things every writer needs to know