Best practices of literacy leaders : keys to school improvement
- New York, NY : Guilford Press, c2012.
- Physical description
- xxiii, 392 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LB2822.82 .B485 2012
- Unknown LB2822.82 .B485 2012
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Machine generated contents note: <b>I. Multiple Roles in School Leadership</b>1. Literacy Leadership in a Culture of Collaboration, Rita M. Bean 2. Teachers as Literacy Leaders, Allison Swan Dagen and Jodi Nichols 3. Literacy Coaches in Elementary Schools, Susan K. L'Allier and Laurie Elish-Piper 4. Reading Specialists and Literacy Coaches in Secondary Schools, Jacy Ippolito and Joanna Lieberman 5. The Role of the Special Educator: A Balancing Act, Naomi Zigmond and Amanda Kloo 6. Principals as Literacy Leaders, Sharon Walpole and Michael C. McKenna<b>II. What Literacy Leaders Need to Know about Literacy</b>7. Emergent Literacy, Anne McGill-Franzen and Jennifer Jordan 8. Literacy Leadership in the Elementary School Reading Program, Janice A. Dole and Kristin L. Nelson 9. Adolescent Language, Literacy, and Learning: Implications for a Schoolwide Literacy Program, Patricia L. Anders and Renee T. Clift 10. Establishing a Print-Rich Classroom and School Environment, Misty Sailors and James V. Hoffman 11. Differentiating Literacy Instruction, Heidi Anne E. Mesmer, Jennifer Jones, Lauren Catherwood, and Laura M. Lester 12. Culturally Responsive Literacy Instruction, Allison Skerrett and Afra Ahmed Hersi 13. English Learners: Developing Their Literate Lives, MaryEllen Vogt 14. Literacy Assessment in Schools, Suzanne Lane and Debra Moore<b>III. Perspectives on Special Issues</b>15. Technology in the Literacy Program, Jill Castek and Carolyn B. Gwinn 16. Developing Effective Home-School Literacy Partnerships, Jeanne R. Paratore, Lilly M. Steiner, and Susan Dougherty 17. Policy Implementation: The Path from Reading Policy to Classroom Practice, Sarah L. Woulfin and Cynthia E. Coburn 18. Schools as Places of Learning: The Powerful Role of Literacy Leaders, Rita M. Bean and Allison Swan Dagen.
- "Bringing together leading experts, this book presents the principles of effective literacy leadership and describes proven methods for improving instruction, assessment, and schoolwide professional development. The book shows how all school staff--including reading specialists and coaches, administrators, teachers, and special educators--can play an active role in nurturing a culture of collaboration and promoting student achievement. Best practices are identified for creating strong elementary and secondary literacy programs, differentiating instruction, supporting English language learners, utilizing technology, building home-school partnerships, and much more. User-friendly features include case examples, guiding questions, and engagement activities in each chapter"-- Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- edited by Rita M. Bean, Allison Swan Dagen.