Educating from Marx : race, gender, and learning
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 258 p. ; 22 cm.
- Marxism and education.
LC5225 .S64 E385 2011
- Unknown LC5225 .S64 E385 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -248) and index.
- Machine generated contents note:
- A Specter Haunts Adult Education: Crafting a Marxist-Feminist Framework for Adult Education & Learning
- Sara Carpenter & Shahrzad Mojab * Building from Marx: Reflections on Class and Race
- Himani Bannerji * Adult Education and/in Imperialism
- Shahrzad Mojab * Women, Resistance, and Informal Learning
- Bahar Biazar * The Social Relations of Learning Citizenship
- Sara Carpenter * Contemporary Social Relations of Labour-Community Organizing
- Sheila Wilmot * Mentoring Young People
- Helen Colley * Learning, Land and Life: Ruling Relations and a River
- Sheila Gruner.
- "In recent years adult educators have been working to develop an important body of literature on neo-liberalism, capitalism, and imperialism. Many of these analyses draw on various strands of Marxist theorizing. With the exception of Jane Thompson's work as an early socialist feminist, a Marxist-Feminist framework has yet to be articulated for adult education. This text combines original empirical studies with literature review from critical adult education and feminist theory to examine the sites, theories, and practices of adult education from a Marxist-Feminist perspective. "--Provided by publisher.
- "Educating from Marx: Race, Gender, and Learning in a cooperative exploration in the Marxist-feminist terrains of adult education theory and practice. Drawing from diverse bodies of knowledge in feminist studies, critical race theory, sociology, labor studies, immigration studies, and dialectical historical materialism, the text offers a renewed vision of a commitment to the feminist and anti-racist extension of Marxist theorization in the study of education, learning, teaching, and activism. Elaborating theoretical foundations and scholarly application of praxis through research, Educating from Marx explores areas of education research including citizenship, mentoring, social movements, immigration, cultural studies, war, and imperialism"--Provided by publisher.
- Publication date
- edited by Sara Carpenter and Shahrzad Mojab.
- Marxism and education