Successful STEM education : a workshop summary
- Washington, D.C. : National Academies Press, c2011
- Physical description
- xii, 82 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
LB1585.3 .S83 2011
- Unknown LB1585.3 .S83 2011
- Beatty, Alexandra S.
- National Research Council (U.S.). Committee on Highly Successful Schools or Programs for K-12 STEM Education.
- National Research Council (U.S.). Board on Science Education.
- National Research Council (U.S.). Center for Education. Board on Testing and Assessment.
- Workshop on Successful STEM Education in K-12 Schools (2011 : Washington, D.C.)
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 59-62).
- Publisher's Summary
- What students learn about the science disciplines, technology, engineering, and mathematics during their K-12 schooling shapes their intellectual development, opportunities for future study and work, and choices of career, as well as their capacity to make informed decisions about political and civic issues and about their own lives. Most people share the vision that a highly capable STEM workforce and a population that understands and supports the scientific enterprise are key to the future place of the United States in global economics and politics and to the well-being of the nation. Indeed, the solutions to some of the most daunting problems facing the nation will require not only the expertise of top STEM professionals but also the wisdom and understanding of its citizens. Although much is known about why schools may not succeed, it is far less clear what makes STEM education effective. Successful STEM Education: A Workshop Summary discusses the importance of STEM education. The report describes the primary types of K-12 schools and programs that can support successful education in the STEM disciplines and examines data and research that demonstrate the effectiveness of these school types. It also summarizes research that helps to identify both the elements that make such programs effective and what is needed to implement these elements.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Science > Study and teaching > United States > Evaluation > Congresses.
- Technology > Study and teaching > United States > Evaluation > Congresses.
- Engineering > Study and teaching > United States > Evaluation > Congresses.
- Mathematics > Study and teaching > United States > Evaluation > Congresses.
- Educational evaluation > United States > Congresses.
- Technological literacy > United States > Congresses.
- Publication date
- Alexandra Beatty, rapporteur ; Committee on Highly Successful Schools or Programs for K-12 STEM Education, Board on Science Education, Board on Testing and Assessment, Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, National Research Council of the National Academies.
- Title Variation
- Successful science, technology, engineering, mathematics education
- Papers presented by the Workshop on Successful STEM Education in K-12 Schools held May 10-12, 2011 in Washington, DC.