"To serve a larger purpose" : engagement for democracy and the transformation of higher education
- Philadelphia : Temple University Press, 2011.
- Physical description
- xiv, 312 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
LA227.4 .T6 2011
- Unknown LA227.4 .T6 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Democratic engagement / John Saltmarsh and Matthew Hartley
- Idealism and compromise and the civic engagement movement / Matthew Hartley
- Democratic transformation through university-assisted community schools / Lee Benson, Ira Harkavy and John Puckett
- Civic professionalism / Harry C. Boyte and Eric Fretz
- Collective leadership for engagement: reclaiming the public purpose of higher education / William M. Plater
- Chief academic officers and community-engaged faculty work / John Woodrow Presley
- Deliberative democracy and higher education: higher education's democratic mission / Nancy Thomas and Peter Levine
- Faculty civic engagement: new training, assumptions, and markets needed for the engaged American scholar / KerryAnn O'Meara
- Putting students at the center of civic engagement / Rick M. Battistoni and Nicholas V. Longo
- Civic engagement on the ropes? / Edward Zlotkowski
- Remapping education for social responsibility: civic, global, and U.S. diversity / Caryn McTighe Musil
- Sustained city-campus engagement: developing an epistemology for our time / Lorlene Hoyt
- Conclusion: Creating the democratically engaged university: possibilities for constructive action / Matthew Hartley and John Saltmarsh.
- Publication date
- edited by John Saltmarsh and Matthew Hartley.