Transformative professional learning : a system to enhance teacher and student motivation
- Ginsberg, Margery B., 1954-
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2011.
- Physical description
- xv, 163 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
LC1100 .G56 2011
- Unknown LC1100 .G56 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 153-157) and index.
- Preface Acknowledgments About the Authors 1. Transformative Professional Development in Culturally Diverse Classrooms 2. The Motivational Framework for Culturally Responsive Teaching 3. Shadowing Students to Stimulate and Enrich Teacher Knowledge 4. Creating Transformative and Culturally Responsive Learning Through Home Visits 5. Creating Transformative Learning Through Collaborative Lesson Design and Reflective Group Work 6. Using Data to Improve Student Learning Resources References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book proposes that high standards for student learning require support for student motivation. Further, to support student motivation, it is necessary to have awareness of and respect for cultural diversity. This book is also grounded in an important corollary principle: for teachers to support student motivation to learn, they need professional learning experiences that create the same motivational conditions for learning that they can use to inspire their students. Motivated teachers tend to have motivated students. To accomplish this, the author provides a set of professional learning practices to help educators develop a continuous and collaborative focus on instruction: professional development that is designed to be inclusive and meaningful, to foster a positive attitude, and to enhance teacher effectiveness can positively influence student achievement. The professional learning practices in this book focus attention on knowing students well, designing lessons with students in mind, and using data to improve instruction. They can be used with most instructional frameworks.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Margery B. Ginsberg.