Asian American education : identities, racial issues, and languages
- Charlotte, NC : Information Age Pub., c2011.
- Physical description
- ix, 225 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
- Research on the education of Asian and Pacific Americans.
LC2632 .A845 2011
- Unknown LC2632 .A845 2011
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Publisher's Summary
- A volume in Research on the Education of Asian Pacific Americans Series Editors Clara C. Park, California State University, Northridge, Russell Endo, University of Colorado, and Xue Lan Rong, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (Sponsored by SIG-Research on the Education of Asian and Pacific Americans of the American Educational Research Association and National Association for Asian and Pacific American Education) Asian American Education--Asian American Identities, Racial Issues, and Languages presents groundbreaking research that critically challenges the invisibility, stereotyping, and common misunderstandings of Asian Americans by disrupting "customary" discourse and disputing "familiar" knowledge. The chapters in this anthology provide rich, detailed evidence and interpretations of the status and experiences of Asian American students, teachers, and programs in K-12 and higher education, including struggles with racism and other race-related issues. This material is authored by nationally-prominent scholars as well as highly-regarded emerging researchers. As a whole, this volume contributes to the deconstruction of the image of Asian Americans as a model minority and at the same time reconstructs theories to explain their diverse educational experiences. It also draws attention to the cultural and especially structural challenges Asian Americans face when trying to make institutional changes. This book will be of great interest to researchers, teachers, students, and other practitioners and policymakers concerned with the education of Asian Americans as well as other peoples of color.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Xue Lan Rong and Russell Endo.
- Research on the education of Asian Pacific Americans