Teacher leader stories : the power of case methods
- Swanson, Judy.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiv, 193 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
LB2805 .S84 2011
- Unknown LB2805 .S84 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 184-188) and index.
- Foreword by Barbara Miller Preface Acknowledgements About the Authors Introduction Who This Book Is For Overview: How to Use Case Analysis and Writing Organization of the Book 1. The Value of Case Methods: Promoting Reflection on the Precarious Real World of Leadership Why Use Case Methods to Support Teacher Leaders? How Do Case Methods Promote Teacher Leaders' Professional Growth? Why Invest in Teacher Leaders' Growth? The Efficacy of Case Writing: Findings From CSTP's Seminars Framing the Leadership Dilemmas 2. Effective Approaches to Case Analysis and Case Writing Facilitating Case Analysis Learning to Write Cases - A Tool for Professional Growth 3. School-Level Leadership Dilemmas How Hard Do I Push? Navigating New Waters: The Voyage of a Teacher Leader on the Sea of Change Out of the Closet ... And Out the Door? Overwhelmed and Underappreciated Free Money? When Do I Tell? 4. District-Level Leadership Filling a Leadership Vacuum Considering All Voices Crossroads Where Do I Stand? Leadership in a Culture of Us and Them Preparing for the Future? Reliving the Past? Is it Just a Crazy Dream? 5. State- and National-Level Leadership Truth and Power One Step Forward, Two Steps Back Hanging in the Balance Transitions 6. How to Use Cases to Support Teacher Leadership: Case-by-Case Facilitation Guides Facilitation Guide for How Hard Do I Push? Facilitation Guide for Navigating New Waters Facilitation Guide for Out of the Closet ... And out the Door? Facilitation Guide for Overwhelmed and Underappreciated Facilitation Guide for Free Money? Facilitation Guide for When Do I Tell? Facilitation Guide for Filling a Leadership Vacuum Facilitation Guide for Considering All Voices Facilitation Guide for Crossroads Facilitation Guide for Where Do I Stand? Leadership in a Culture of Us and Them Facilitation Guide for Preparing for the Future? Reliving the Past? Facilitation Guide for Is It Just a Crazy Dream? Facilitation Guide for Truth and Power Facilitation Guide for One Step Forward, Two Steps Back Facilitation Guide for Hanging in the Balance Facilitation Guide for Transitions Summing Up Going Forward: From Words to Actions Resources Resource A. Recommended Books, Websites, and Readings Resource B. Just What Is Teacher Leadership? Resource C. CSTP Framework and Tools Resource D. Case-Writing Seminar Part 1: Sample Agenda Resource E. Case-Writing Seminar Part 2: Sample Agenda References.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Empower teacher leaders through the power of case study. Many teachers desire but have a hard time obtaining the training and support they need to lead others and expand their circle of influence. Like having a conversation with a successful teacher leader, this practical guide will help teachers grow their leadership skills, optimize student learning, and enhance the profession. Research confirms that the best way to become an effective teacher leader is through case study, and this book provides: 16 compelling case studies that cover a broad range of leadership experiences; explicit guidance on using case writing and case analysis to enrich teachers professional learning; and, a facilitator's guide with discussion questions for each case study. The people and events in these cases are real, and these relatable stories cover a variety of leadership dilemmas from diverse settings. Written in compelling and straight-forward language, "Teacher Leader Stories" is most beneficial to staff development professionals and aspiring teacher leaders seeking the rich, substantive professional learning experience they need to become successful.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Judy Swanson, Kimberly Elliott, Jeanne Harmon ; foreword by Barbara Miller.