Marxism and education : renewing the dialogue, pedagogy, and culture
- 1st ed.
- New York : Palgrave Macmillan, 2011.
- Physical description
- viii, 248 p. ; 22 cm.
- Marxism and education.
LB1025.2 .M37 2011
- Unknown LB1025.2 .M37 2011
- Jones, P. E. (Peter Eland), 1954-
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- PART I: MARXISM AND CULTURE: EDUCATIONAL PERSPECTIVES Culture, Class and Education: a Reflective Essay-- T.Wrigley Learning to Labour with Feeling: Class, Gender and Emotion in Childcare Education and Training-- H.Colley 'For a People's Clydebank': Learning the Ethic of Solidarity Amidst the Wreckage of Neo-Liberalism in Contemporary Scotland-- C.Collins PART II: MARXISM AND THE CULTURE OF EDUCATIONAL PRACTICE Learning the Feeling Rules: Exploring Hochschild's Thesis on the Alienating Experience of Learning and Performing Emotional Labor-- P.Brook Adult Education and the 'Matter' of Consciousness in Marxist-Feminism-- S.Carpenter & S.Mojab A Little Night Reading: Marx, Assessment and the Professional Doctorate in Education-- V.Perselli PART III: MARXISM AND EDUCATION: ADVANCING THEORY From Relational Ontology to a Transformative Activist Stance on Development and Learning: Expanding Vygotsky's (CHAT) Project-- A.Stetsenko Activity, Activity Theory and the Marxian Legacy-- P.Jones Critical Pedagogy as Revolutionary Practice-- P.McLaren.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Marxist thinking can offer a critical understanding of education in an international context. Jones tackles these issues from a variety of angles and perspectives, taking advantage of recent theoretical innovations in Marxist analysis as well as the personal experiences of educational practitioners with Marxist commitments. With a specific focus on pedagogical practices as cultural practices, this book combines detailed case studies of local situations with broad, critical overviews of global development and challenges.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Peter E. Jones.
- Marxism and education