Making mathematics practical : an approach to problem solving
- Hackensack, N.J. : World Scientific, c2011.
- Physical description
- viii, 155 p. : ill. ; 23 cm.
QA63 .M35 2011
- Unknown QA63 .M35 2011
- Toh, Tin Lam.
- Includes bibliographical references.
- Mathematical Problem Solving-- Scheme of Work and Assessment of the Mathematics Practical-- Detailed Lesson Plans-- Scaffolding Suggestions, Solutions to the Problems and Assessment Notes.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- This book is the first of its kind, as it includes both mathematics content and pedagogy. It is a professional instructional manual on how mathematical problem solving curriculum can be implemented in the classrooms. The book develops from the theoretical work of Polya and Schoenfeld, and explicates how these can be translated to the actual implementation in schools. It represents the work of a group of researchers from the Singapore National Institute of Education, after experimenting with it in the Singapore school classrooms. This book includes a set of scheme of work, lesson plans and a choice of mathematics problems that teachers can actually use in teaching problem solving. Certain pedagogical considerations are developed and suggested in this book. In addition, the book includes an assessment framework on how mathematical problem solving can be assessed.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Toh Tin Lam ... [et al.].