Effective online teaching : foundations and strategies for student success
LB1044.87 .S846 2011
- Unknown LB1044.87 .S846 2011
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 245-249) and index.
- Exhibits and Figures. Preface. About the Author. Part 1 Profile of the Online Learner. 1 Characteristics of the Online Learner. 2 Key Learning Attributes of Adults. 3 Challenges That Affect Learners' Persistence. Part 2 Foundations of Cognition and Learning. 4 Learning Theory. 5 Understanding Cognition and Learning. 6 Motivation Theory. Part 3 Cognitive Strategies to Support Learners' Thinking. 7 Procedural Scaffolding. 8 Metacognitive Scaffolding. 9 Conceptual Scaffolding. 10 Strategic Scaffolding. Part 4 Developing Cognitive, Social, and Teaching Presence Online. 11 Developing Cognitive Presence Through Active Learning Strategies. 12 Establishing Social Presence Through Learner-to-Learner Collaborative Strategies. 13 Establishing Instructor Presence Through Instructor-to-Learner Interaction Strategies. 14 Communication Tools to Support Cognitive, Social, and Teaching Presence. Part 5 Strategies for Managing Your Online Course. 15 Strategies for Managing your Online Teaching Activities. 16 Strategies for Managing Behavioral Issues. 17 Strategies for Managing Ethical and Legal Issues. 18 Developing an Online Teaching Philosophy. References. Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- In order to enable the widespread adoption of online education, faculty must be trained in the pedagogy of teaching in this medium. This book offers an understanding of how cognition and learning theory applies to an online learning environment. Through behaviorist, constructivist, and cognitive approaches it provides strategies for incorporating this knowledge into effective learner-centered teaching practice. Each chapter contains reflection and discussion questions and, with the use of the accompanying CD, can be used for self-directed learning. It is ideal for new instructors or those new to online teaching.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Tina Stavredes.
- The Jossey-Bass higher and adult education series