Language and bilingual cognition
- New York, NY ; Hove : Psychology Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiii, 591 p. : ill. ; 24 cm.
P115.4 .L36 2011
- Unknown P115.4 .L36 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and indexes.
- Part A. Language and cognition
- 1 Relating language and cognition : the speaker of one language
- 2 How does language affect thought?
- 3 Language and cognition : the view from anthropology
- 4 Language and cognition : the view from cognitive linguistics
- 5 Interactive influences of language and cognition
- 6 Tools for thinking
- Part B. Bilingual cognition
- 7 Relating language and cognition : the second language user
- 8 Bilingualism and cognition : the perspective from semantics
- 9 Advances in the study of bilingualism : a personal view
- 10 Bilingual worlds
- 11 Color and bilingual cognition
- 12 Spatial language and second language acquisition
- 13 Perception of motion by Polish-English bilinguals
- 14 Expressing voluntary motion in a second language : English learners of French
- 15 Chinese-English bilinguals' sensitivity to the temporal phase of an action event is related to the extent of their experience with English
- 16 The grammatical and conceptual gender of animals in second language users
- 17 The interpretation of emblematic gestures in second language users of Italian
- 18 Yo no lo tiré, se cayó solito, 'I did not throw it, it just fell down' : interpreting and recounting accidental events in Spanish and English
- 19 Theory of Mind and bilingual cognition
- 20 Bilingualism and the impact of emotion : the role of experience, memory, and sociolinguistic factors
- 21 Emotions in bilingual life narratives
- Part C. Applications and implications of bilingual cognition research
- 22 Linguistic relativity and language teaching
- 23 Translation and bilingual cognition
- 24 Culture and cognition in the study of intercultural communication
- 25 Advertising to the buy-lingual consumer
- Epilogue : Bilinguals save the world.
- Focusing on bilinguals, this text provides a state-of-the-art overview of the relationship between language and cognition.
- Publication date
- edited by Vivian Cook and Benedetta Bassetti.