Feminist research in theory and practice [electronic resource]
- Letherby, Gayle.
- Buckingham ; Philadelphia : Open University Press, 2003.
- Physical description
- x, 193 p.
- ebrary, Inc.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. -180) and index.
- Acknowledgements Introduction Educating Rita revisited: knowledge and language in the 'male' academy United we stand? The feminist reconstruction of knowledge Doing it for ourselves: feminist research as feminist theory in action Quoting and counting: the qualitative/quantitative divide Whose life is it anyway? Issues of power, empowerment, ethics and responsibility Texts of many lives: the implications for feminist research Close encounters: presentations and audiences Reflections References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- "an extremely welcome addition to the field of feminist research." British Journal of Educational Studies This is a clear and accessible exploration of feminist method, methodology and epistemology. After situating herself and her work, Gayle Letherby charts the debates concerned with the epistemological, political and practical issues involved in doing feminist research, and places the debates within a wider consideration of the status of knowledge. The main focus of the book is then the particular and practical issues for feminist researchers. It examines how the process of research affects the results of that research and explores the relation between politics and practice in terms of research and knowledge production. Throughout the book there is a practical emphasis on specific examples of feminist research in action and, as well as summarizing current theoretical debates, Gayle Letherby adds to them. Feminist Research in Theory and Practice is designed and written as a textbook for students (at advanced undergraduate and postgraduate level) but will be a valuable resource for any researcher or individual interested in women's studies, feminism and in researching in the social sciences.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Gayle Letherby.
- Electronic reproduction. Palo Alto, Calif. : ebrary, 2010. Available via World Wide Web. Access may be limited to ebrary affiliated libraries.