White teachers, diverse classrooms : creating inclusive schools, building on students' diversity, and providing true educational equity
- 2nd ed.
- Sterling, Va. : Stylus Pub., 2011.
- Physical description
- x, 365 p. ; 23 cm.
LC1099.3 .W48 2011
- Unknown LC1099.3 .W48 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Publisher's Summary
- BESTSELLER"The second edition of White Teachers, Diverse Classrooms adds seven essays to 14 of the original chapters. In the first edition, the editors selected essays about pedagogical methods that might close the achievement gap between white and African American students. The new edition contains seven articles describing approaches for teachers working with Latino, Asian, or Native American students. Summing Up: Recommended."?ChoiceAcclaim for the first edition: "Practical advice for teachers and administrators on ways to improve the education of students of color, emphasizing that low expectations are the worst form of racism. ?Education Week "This is a very good book for teachers to put on their shelves; I recommend its use at the university level as a teaching tool as well. ?Multicultural ReviewThis second edition has been considerably expanded with chapters that illuminate the Asian American, Native American, and Latina/o experience, including that of undocumented students, in our schools. These chapters offer insights into the concerns and issues students bring to the classroom. They also convey the importance for teachers, as they accept difference and develop cultural sensitivity, to see their students as individuals, and avoid generalizations. This need to go beneath the surface is reinforced by a chapter on adopted children, children of mixed race, and hidden minorities. ".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Julie Landsman and Chance W. Lewis.