Crossing the vocabulary bridge : differentiated strategies for diverse secondary classrooms
- Herrera, Socorro Guadalupe.
- New York : Teachers College Press, c2011.
- Physical description
- xiii, 194 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
LB1631 .H37 2011
- Unknown LB1631 .H37 2011
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- pt. 1: Rethinking content literacy development with secondary students
- pt. 2: Strategies for linguistic and academic development. Images as catalysts for predictions and connections
- Words and more words
- From word knowledge to comprehension
- pt. 3: Biography-driven instruction and the adult CLD learner
- Conclusion: When fidelity becomes student centered
- Appendix: Strategy rubrics and checklists.
- Publisher's Summary
- This book provides a framework for academic vocabulary and language instruction in todays diverse classrooms. The authors present a set of strategies and tools that work effectively across all content to support enhanced comprehension and academic success. The strategies have evolved from over a decade of research and classroom observation to provide teachers with multiple avenues for making content accessible and relevant for all students, especially those who are culturally and linguistically diverse.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Socorro G. Herrera, Shabina K. Kavimandan, Melissa A. Holmes ; foreword by Candace Harper.