Schools cannot do it alone : building public support for America's public schools
- Vollmer, Jamie Robert.
- 1st Enlightenment pbk. ed.
- Fairfield, IA : Enlightenment Press, c2010.
- Physical description
- 219 p. ; 23 cm.
LB2822.8 .V6 2010
- Unknown LB2822.8 .V6 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 213-219).
- Part I. From critic to ally
- ch. 1. Run it like a business! : an ice cream man with an attitude
- ch. 2. The blueberry story : the big shot learns a lesson
- ch. 3. An aide for a day : locked in a room with eighth graders
- ch. 4. The ever-increasing burden : educators are not the problem
- Part II. Why our schools need to change
- ch. 5. The flaw in the system : selecting for a world that no longer exists
- ch. 6. The new competitive equation : the learner-to-laborer ratio is reversed
- ch. 7. The smoking gun : time constant, learning variable
- ch. 8. Challenging the core beliefs : the three-dimensional bell curve
- Part III. The public is not ready
- ch. 9. Struggling to be heard : noise, history, bureaucracy, and T.T.S.P.
- ch. 10. On the brink of progress : attempting change and riling the public
- ch. 11. The obstructive power of "real school" : mental models, nostesia, and prom
- ch. 12. Considering community involvement : going from a to b through c
- ch. 13. The terrible twenty trends : external forces are pushing the public away
- ch. 14. The prerequisites of progress : what we need from the community
- Part IV. The great conversation
- ch. 15. Escaping the status quo : an ongoing discussion with two tracks
- ch. 16. The formal track : community's turf, community's convenience
- ch. 17. Mapping the community : finding our audience
- ch. 18. Deciding on the message : a story of achievement, simply told
- ch. 19. Developing scripts : organizing content and sharing responsibility
- ch. 20. Building teams : no one goes out there alone
- ch. 21. Conducting a commuinications audit : reinforcing the mesage behind the scenes
- ch. 22. Creating a comprehensive schedule : putting the map to work in phases
- ch. 23. A second front : not everyone wants to go public
- ch. 24. The informal track : leveraging the power of the individual
- ch. 25. The return on our investment : trust, "yes" votes, and rising social capital
- ch. 26. A most hopeful time : the moral and the practical converge.
- Publication date
- Jamie Vollmer.