The Norton jazz recordings essential listening [electronic resource].
- New York : Sony Music Entertainment, p2011.
- Physical description
- 1 DVD-ROM : sd. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Unknown MCDI 266
- Sony Music Entertainment, Inc.
- Reckless blues / B. Smith (Bessie Smith)
- West end blues / C. Williams, J. Oliver (Louis Armstrong and his Hot Five)
- Now's the time / C. Parker (Charlie Parker)
- A sailboat in the moonlight / G. Lombardo, J. Loeb (Billie Holiday and her Orchestra)
- So what / M. Davis (Miles Davis)
- The Buzzard lope (Bessie Jones)
- Dead man blues / F. Morton (Jelly Roll Morton)
- Snake rag / J. Oliver (King Oliver)
- You've got to be modernistic / J. Johnson (James P. Johnson)
- Black and tan fantasy / E. Ellington, J. Miley (Duke Ellington and his Orchestra)
- Weather bird / L. Armstrong (Louis Armstrong & Earl Hines)
- Singin' the blues / J. Robinson, J. Young, S. Louis, C. Conrad (Frank Trumbauer and his Orchestra, featuring Bix Beiderbecke)
- Dinah / J. Young, H. Akst, S. Lewis (Benny Goodman Quartet)
- Star dust / H. Carmicheael (Artie Shaw and his Orchestra)
- Walkin' and swingin' / M.L. Williams (Andy Kirk and his Twelve Clouds of Joy)
- One o'clock jump / C. Basie (Count Basie and his Orchestra)
- Conga brava / E. Ellington, J. Tizol (Duke Ellington ; the Blanton-Webster Band)
- Body and soul / J. Green, E. Heyman, R. Sour, F. Eyton (Coleman Hawkins and his Orchestra)
- Oh! lady be good / G. Gershwin (Count Basie and his Orchestra)
- Blue skies / I. Berlin (Ella Fitzgerald)
- Over the rainbow / H. Arlen, E.Y. Harburgh (Art Tatum)
- Swing to bop (Topsy) (Charlie Christian)
- Ko ko (false start) / C. Parker (Charlie Parker and his Re-Boppers)
- Ko ko (master take) / C. Parker (Charlie Parker and his Re-Boppers)
- Tempus fugue-it / B. Powell (Bud Powell)
- Long tall Dexter / D. Gordon (Dexter Gordon)
- Moon dreams / C. McGregor, J. Mercer (Miles Davis)
- A night in Tunisia (excerpt) / D. Gillespie (Clifford Brown)
- Autumn nocturne / J. Myrow, K. Gannon (Sonny Rollins)
- Rhythm-a-ning / T. Monk (Thelonious Monk)
- Boogie stop shuffle (edited LP version) / C. Mingus (Charles Mingus)
- Concerto for Billy the Kid / G. Russell (George Russell Smaltet)
- Acknowledgement / J. Coltrane (John Coltrane)
- E.S.P. / W. Shorter (Miles Davis)
- Lonely woman / O. Coleman (Ornette Coleman)
- Willisau concert. Part 3 / C. Taylor (Cecil Taylor)
- The organ grinder's swing / W. Hudson, I. Mills, M. Parish (Jimmy Smith)
- Manteca / L. Gonzales, D. Gillespie, W. Fuller (Dizzy Gillespie)
- Teen town / J. Pastorius (Weather Report)
- Tutu / M. Miller (MIles Davis)
- Processional / W. Marsalis (Wynton Marsalis)
- You've got to be modernistic / J. Johnson (Jason Moran).
- Publication date
- Title Variation
- Jazz recordings essential listening
- Each iLG (interactive listening guide) is designed to improve listening and understanding. Overview: provides background information and contexts for each work; Listen for: reinforces the most important aspects of the work; Guide: breaks each piece down and describes what is occurring musically; Quiz: click the link to take the listening quiz online at StudySpace.
- Contents include: interactive listening guides (iLGs) for each work presented in the companion book, Jazz: essential listening; MP3 files for audio-only listening.
- The DVD-ROM of concise recordings contains the same repertoire as the CD set, but includes Interactive Listening Guides (iLGs) which synchronize audio and author commentary. The iLGs also features listening quizzes that challenge students to identify the instruments, performers, and structure of each piece.
- DVD for use with Jazz: essential listening by Scott Deveaux and Gary Giddins.
- Title from disc surface.
- System requirements: Windows: Windows XP SP3 or higher/Windows Vista/Windows 7; Intel Pentium III 733 MHz (recommended: Intel Pentium 4 2.33GHz processor / Intel Core Duo 1.73GHz or faster processor); 256 MB of RAM (recommended: 1GB of RAM); screen resolution: 1024x768; DVD-ROM drive; audio output. Macintosh: Mac OS X v10.3 or later (Power PC) / Mac OS X v10.4.x or later (Intel); QuickTime 7 or higher (Applecom/QuickTime); PowerPC G4 533MHz or faster processor / Intel Core Duo 1.33GHz or faster processor; (recommended: PowerPC G5 1.8GHz or faster processor / Intel Core Duo 1.73GHz or faster processor).
- MP3 files for audio-only listening.
- Related Work
- Deveaux, Scott. Jazz.
- Publisher Number
- 88697750719 Sony Music Entertainment