The SAGE handbook of writing development
- 1st ed.
- Thousand Oakes, Calif. : SAGE Publications Ltd., 2009.
- Physical description
- vii, 589 p. : ill. ; 26 cm.
PE1404 .S25 2009
- Unknown PE1404 .S25 2009
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- General Introduction The History of Writing - David R. Olson INTRODUCTION TO SECTION 1 Modelling the Development of Written Composition - Denis Alamargot and Michel Fayol Writing about What We Know: Generating Ideas in Writing - David Galbraith From Idea to Text - John R. Hayes Revision Processes - Lucile Chanquoy A Sociocultural Framework: Writing as Social Practice - Triantafillia Kostouli Developing Discourse Roles and Positionings - An Ecological Theory of Writing Development - Jon Smidt Writing: A Critical Literacy Perspective - Hilary Janks Multiple Literacies and Multi-literacies - Brian V. Street Writing As Linguistic Mastery: The Development of Genre-based Literacy Pedagogy - David Rose Writing in a Multimodal World of Representation - Gunther Kress and Jeff Bezemer Grammar and Writing - The International Debate - Terry Locke How Linguistics Can Inform the Teaching of Writing - Craig Hancock INTRODUCTION TO SECTION 2 Early Written Communication - Deborah Wells Rowe Writing in Childhood Worlds - Anne Haas Dyson Agency and Platform: The relationships between talk and writing - Judy Parr, Rebecca Jesson and Stuart McNaughton Learning to Use Alphabetic Writing - Charles Read Developing an Understanding of Punctuation - Nigel Hall and Sue Sing The Critical Role Handwriting Plays in the Ability to Produce High-Quality Written Text - Carol A. Christensen Engaging and Motivating Children to Write - Pietro Boscolo Writing and Popular Culture - Jackie Marsh INTRODUCTION TO SECTION 3 Morphemes and Children's Spelling - Peter Bryant and Terezinha Nunes Measuring Maturity - Richard Hudson The Architecture of Textuality: A Semiotic View of Composing in and out of School - Peter Smagorinsky The Content of Students' Writing - Brenton Doecke and Douglas McClenaghan Creativity and Constraint: Developing as a Writer of Poetry - Anthony Wilson Becoming a Designer: Trajectories of Linguistic Development - Debra Myhill Writing through College: Self-efficacy and Instruction - Ellen Lavelle Toward a New Understanding for Classroom Writing Assessment - Brian Huot and Jeff Perry The Role of Readers in Writing Development: Writing Students Bringing Their Texts to the Test - Gert Rijlaarsdam, Martine Braaksma, Michel Couzijn, Tanja Janssen, Marleen Kieft, Mariet Raedts, Elke van Steendam, Anne Toorenaar and Huub van den Bergh INTRODUCTION TO SECTION 4 The Expansion of Second Language Writing - Paul Kei Matsuda, Christina Ortmeier-Hooper and Aya Matsuda Meeting the Needs of Advanced Multilingual Writers - Suresh Canagarajah and Maria Jerskey Causes of Delays and Difficulties in the Production of Written Text - Julie Dockrell The Contested Materialities of Writing in Digital Environments: Implications for Writing Development - Doreen Starke-Meyerring Hypertext and Writing - Christina Haas and Chad Wickman Developing Writing in a High-Stakes Environment - Marian Sainsbury Writing in the Wider Community - Beverly J. Moss Reflections on the Future of Writing Development - Robert Gundlach.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Writing development is currently the focus of substantial international debate because it is the aspect of literacy education that has been least responsive to central government and state reforms. Teaching approaches in writing have been slower to change than those in teaching reading and pupil attainment in writing has increased at a much more modest rate than pupil attainment in reading. This handbook critically examines research and theoretical issues that impact on writing development from the early years through to adulthood. It provides those researching or teaching literacy with one of the most academically authoritative and comprehensive works in the field. With expert contributors from across the world, the book represents a detailed and valuable overview of a complex area of study.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- [edited by] Roger Beard ... [et al.].
- Title Variation
- Writing development