Heart of a samurai : based on the true story of Manjiro Nakahama
- Preus, Margi.
- New York : Amulet Books, c2010.
- Physical description
- 301 p. : ill. ; 22 cm.
PS3566 .R4158 H43 2010
- Unknown PS3566 .R4158 H43 2010
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 297-301).
- In 1841, rescued by an American whaler after a terrible shipwreck leaves him and his four companions castaways on a remote island, fourteen-year-old Manjiro, who dreams of becoming a samurai, learns new laws and customs as he becomes the first Japanese person to set foot in the United States.
- Supplemental links
Contributor biographical information
- Nakahama, Manjirō, 1827-1898 > Juvenile fiction.
- Whaling > Juvenile fiction.
- Samurai > Juvenile fiction.
- Japanese > United States > Juvenile fiction.
- Japan > Relations > United States > Juvenile fiction.
- United States > Relations > Japan > Juvenile fiction.
- Nakahama, Manjirō, 1827-1898 > Fiction.
- Whaling > Fiction.
- Adventure and adventurers > Fiction.
- Samurai > Fiction.
- Japanese > United States > Fiction.
- Japan > Relations > United States > Fiction.
- United States > Relations > Japan > Fiction.
- Newbery Honor Books, 2011.
- Publication date
- Margi Preus.
- American Library Association Notable Children's Book 2011; Newbery Honor, 2011; Booklist Editor's Choice/Books for Youth 2010.