The handbook of language and gender [electronic resource]
- Malden, MA : Blackwell Pub., 2005.
- Physical description
- xv, 759 pages : illustrations ; 25 cm.
- Blackwell handbooks in linguistics ; 13.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- Different voices, different views: an introduction to current research in language and gender / Janet Holmes, Miriam Meyerhoff
- PART I. HISTORY AND THEORETICAL BACKGROUND TO THE STUDY OF LANGUAGE AND GENDER
- Theorizing gender in sociolinguistics and linguistic anthropology / Bonnie McElhinny
- Theories of discourse as theories of gender: discourse analysis in language and gender studies / Mary Bucholtz
- "What's in a name?" Social labeling and gender practices / Sally McConnell-Ginet
- Variation in language and gender / Suzanne Romaine
- Language and desire / Don Kulick
- "One man in two is a woman": linguistic approaches to gender in literary texts / Anna Livia
- PART II. NEGOTIATING RELATIONS
- Language, gender, and politics: putting "women" and "power" in the same sentence / Robin Lakoff
- Gender and family interaction / Deborah Tannen
- Gender and power in on-line communication / Susan C. Herring
- Relevance of ethnicity, class, and gender in children's peer negotiations / Marjorie Harness Goodwin
- Power of gender ideologies in discourse / Susan U. Philips
- PART III. AUTHENTICITY AND PLACE
- Crossing genders, mixing languages: the linguistic construction of transgenderism in Tonga / Niko Besnier
- Claiming a place: gender, knowledge, and authority as emergent properties / Miriam Meyerhoff
- Constructing and managing male exclusivity in talk-in-interaction / Jack Sidnell
- Exceptional speakers: contested and problematized gender identities / Kira Hall
- Language and gender in adolescence / Penelope Eckert
- Language and gendered modernity / William L. Leap
- Marked man: the contexts of gender and ethnicity / Sara Trechter
- PART IV. STEREOTYPES AND NORMS
- Gender and language ideologies / Deborah Cameron
- Gender stereotypes: reproduction and challenge / Mary Talbot
- Gender and identity: representation and social action / Ann Weatherall, Cindy Gallois
- Prestige, cultural models, and other ways of talking about underlying norms and gender / Scott Fabius Kiesling
- Communicating gendered professional identity: competence, cooperation, and conflict in the workplace / Caja Thimm [and others]
- Linguistic sexism and feminist linguistic activism / Anne Pauwels
- PART V. INSTITUTIONAL DISCOURSE
- "Feminine" workplaces: stereotype and reality / Janet Holmes, Maria Stubbe
- Creating gendered demeanors of authority at work and at home / Shari Kendall
- Schooled language: language and gender in educational settings / Joan Swann
- Coercing gender: language in sexual assault adjudication processes / Susan Ehrlich
- Multiple identities: the roles of female parliamentarians in the EU parliament / Ruth Wodak
- Epilogue: Reflections on language and gender research / Alice F. Freed.
- Publisher's Summary
- The Handbook of Language and Gender is a collection of articles written by leading specialists in the field that examines the dynamic ways in which women and men develop and manage gendered identities through their talk. * Provides a comprehensive, up-to-date, and stimulating picture of the field for students and researchers in a wide range of disciplines * Features data and case studies from interactions in different social contexts and from a range of different communities.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- edited by Janet Holmes and Miriam Meyerhoff.
- Blackwell handbooks in linguistics ; 13
- Electronic reproduction. New York, N.Y. : Blackwell, 2008. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Title from title screen (viewed on June 27, 2008). Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.