A companion to gender history [electronic resource]
- Oxford : Blackwell, 2006.
- Physical description
- xii, 676 p. ; 25 cm.
- Thematic essays on gender issues in world history. Sexuality / Robert A. Nye
- Gender and labor in world history / Laura Levine Frader
- Structures and meanings in a gendered family history / Merry E. Wiesner-Hanks
- Religion and gender : embedded patterns, interwoven frameworks / Ursula King
- Gender rules : law and politics / Susan Kingsley Kent
- Race, gender, and other differences in feminist theory / Deirdre Keenan
- Gender and education before and after mass schooling / Pavla Miller
- How images got their gender : masculinity and femininity in the visual arts / Mary D. Sheriff
- Revolution, Nationalism, and anti-Imperialism / Temma Kaplan
- Feminist movements : gender and sexual equality / Barbara Winslow
- Chronological and geographical essays : prehistory. Gender in the formation of the earliest human societies / Marcia-Anne Dobres
- Classical and post-classical societies (2000 BCE-1400 CE). Women in the Middle East, 8000 BCE to 1700 CE / Guity Nashat
- Gendered themes in early African History / David Schoenbrun
- Confucian complexities : China, Japan, Korea, and Vietnam / Vivian-Lee Nyitray
- Early western civilization under the sign of gender : Europe and the Mediterranean / Paul Halsall
- Gender in the ancient Americas : from earliest villages to European colonization / Rosemary A. Joyce
- Gender and the development of modern society (1400-1750). Gender history, Southeast Asia, and the "world regions" framework / Barbara Watson Andaya
- Did gender have a renaissance? Exclusions and traditions in early modern Western Europe / Julie Hardwick
- Self, society, and gender in early modern Russia and Eastern Europe / Nancy Shields Kollmann
- A new world engendered : the making of the Iberian transatlantic empires / Verena Stolcke
- Gender and the modern world (1750-1920). Rescued from obscurity : contributions and challenges in writing the history of gender in the Middle East and North Africa / Judith Tucker
- Gender, women, and power in Africa, 1750-1914 / Marcia Wright
- Clash of cultures : gender and colonialism in South and Southeast Asia / Nupur Chaudhuri
- From private to public patriarchy : women, labor and the state in East Asia, 1600-1919 / Anne Walthall
- Gender in the formation of European power, 1750-1914 / Deborah Valenze
- Latin America and the Caribbean / Sonya Lipsett-Rivera
- North America from North of the 49th Parallel / Linda Kealey
- Gender in the contemporary world (1920-2003). Frameworks of gender : feminism and nationalism in twentieth-century Asia / Barbara Molony
- Women and gender roles in Africa Since 1918 : gender as a determinant of status / Sean Redding
- Continuities amid change : gender ideas and arrangements in twentieth-century Russia and Eastern Europe / Barbara Evans Clements
- Engendering reform and revolution in twentieth-century Latin America and the Caribbean / Susan K. Besse
- Equality and difference in the twentieth-century West : North America, Western Europe, Australia, and New Zealand / Charles Sowerwine with Patricia Grimshaw
- Publisher's Summary
- A Companion to Gender History surveys the history of women around the world, studies their interaction with men in gendered societies, and looks at the role of gender in shaping human behavior over thousands of years. * An extensive survey of the history of women around the world, their interaction with men, and the role of gender in shaping human behavior over thousands of years. * Discusses family history, the history of the body and sexuality, and cultural history alongside women's history and gender history. * Considers the importance of class, region, ethnicity, race and religion to the formation of gendered societies. * Contains both thematic essays and chronological-geographic essays. * Gives due weight to pre-history and the pre-modern era as well as to the modern era. * Written by scholars from across the English-speaking world and scholars for whom English is not their first language.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Reprint/reissue date
- Original date
- edited by Teresa A. Meade and Merry E. Wiesner-Hanks.
- Title Variation
- Gender history
- Originally published: 2003.
- Electronic reproduction. New York, N.Y. : Blackwell, 2008. Mode of access: World Wide Web. System requirements: Web browser. Title from title screen (viewed on June 27, 2008). Access may be restricted to users at subscribing institutions.