The Penguin jazz guide : the history of the music in the 1,001 best albums
- Morton, Brian, 1954-
- London ; New York : Penguin Books, 2010.
- Physical description
- xxxii, 730 p. ; 24 cm.
ML156.4 .J3 M67 2010
- In-library use ML156.4 .J3 M67 2010
- Cook, Richard, 1957-2007.
- Publisher's Summary
- Richard Cook and Brian Morton's "Penguin Jazz Guide: The History of the Music in 1001 Best Albums" is an indispensible guide to the recordings that every fan should know. Richard Cook and Brian Morton's "Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings" is firmly established as the world's leading guide to the music. In this book, Brian Morton has picked out 1001 essential recordings from their acclaimed guide, adding new information, revising and reassessing each entry, and showing how these key pieces tell the history of the music - and with it the history of the twentieth century. These are the essential albums that that all true jazz fans should own, or - at the very least - have listened to, from "Kind of Blue" to lesser-known classics and more surprising choices. Full of fascinating updated biographical information, new quotes and interviews and, of course, highly opinionated and wittily trenchant critical reviews, the result is an endlessly browsable companion that will prove required reading for aficionados and jazz novices alike. "One of the great books of recorded jazz; the other guides don't come close". ("Irish Times"). "It's the kind of book that you'll yank off the shelf to look up a quick fact and still be reading two hours later". ("Fortune"). "The leader in its field...If you own only one book on jazz, it really should be this one". ("International Record Review"). "Indispensable and incomparable". ("NME"). Brian Morton is a freelance writer and broadcaster who for many years presented Radio 3's "Jazz" magazine "Impressions" and "In Tune". Richard Cook (1957-2007) was formerly editor of "The Wire" and edited "Jazz Review". He contributed to many other publications, including the "New Statesman" and his books included Richard Cook's "Jazz Encyclopaedia" and "It's About That Time: Miles Davis on Record".
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Brian Morton and Richard Cook.
- Title Variation
- Jazz guide