The turnaround toolkit : managing rapid, sustainable school improvement
- Winters, Lynn.
- Thousand Oaks, Calif. : Corwin, c2011.
- Physical description
- xii, 299 p. : ill. ; 28 cm.
LB2822.8 .W56 2011
- Unknown LB2822.8 .W56 2011
- Herman, Joan L.
- Includes bibliographical references (p. 279-282) and index.
- Foreword by Carl A. Cohn Publisher's Acknowledgments About the Authors Introduction Part I. The 3 Rs of Turnaround Work: Realign, Redesign, Refine Section I. Realign: Create the Structures for Turnaround Work 1. Develop Systems for Managing Turnaround Activities: Distributed Leadership, Collaborative Teams, Expert Reviewers and Networks, Data Capacity 2. Organize Information Needed to Redesign Programs 3. Prepare Data Summaries and Displays Section II. Redesign: Use Data to Create the Turnaround Plan 4. Identify the Turnaround Focus 5. Redesign Programs to Address the Turnaround Focus 6. Develop and Implement the Turnaround Plan Section III. Refine: Evaluate and Revise the Turnaround Plan 7. Design an Evaluation of the Turnaround Plan 8. Analyze Evaluation Data and Revise the Program 9. The 4th R of Turnaround Work: Reflect on Lessons Learned Part II. Leader's Guides for The TurnAround ToolKit Introduction to Leader's Guides 1. Develop Systems for Managing Turnaround Activities: Distributed Leadership, Collaborative Teams, Expert Reviewers and Networks, Data Capacity: Leader's Guide 2. Organize Information Needed to Redesign Programs: Leader's Guide 3. Prepare Data Summaries and Displays: Leader's Guide 4. Identify the Turnaround Focus: Leader's Guide 5. Redesign Programs to Address the Turnaround Focus: Leader's Guide 6. Develop and Implement the Turnaround Plan: Leader's Guide 7. Design an Evaluation of the Turnaround Plan: Leader's Guide 8. Analyze Evaluation Data and Revise the Program: Leader's Guide Endnotes Resources and References Index.
- (source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publisher's Summary
- Lynn Winters' and Joan Herman's "The Turnaround Toolkit" is written for school leaders who are focused on transforming instruction, and who may be working under significant time constraints to reverse declining student achievement or public perceptions of school failure. Based on the evidence that simply implementing 'continuous improvement' is not enough to close the achievement gap, "The Turnaround Toolkit" provides a nine-step formative evaluation programme designed to achieve an immediate and consistent focus on improving instruction in order to bolster student achievement. In a straightforward and accessible fashion, Herman and Winters explain three overarching 'Turnaround Tasks' that frame these steps and the necessary-and sometimes drastic-actions that must be taken by school leaders as they use data to strategically choose, implement, monitor, and revise school interventions. A dedicated, online 'toolkit' offers numerous worksheets and templates that support each stage of the process and help school leaders scaffold the work of educators to put an aggressive turnaround plan into action while a leadership guide at the end of the book provides guidance to turnaround teams and facilitators.
(source: Nielsen Book Data)
- Publication date
- Lynn Winters, Joan Herman ; foreword by Carl A. Cohn.