Merce Cunningham Dance Company [videorecording] : Robert Rauschenberg collaborations
- San Francisco, CA : Microcinema International, c2010 + 1 booklet (23 p. : ill. ; 18 cm.).
- Physical description
- 3 videodiscs (94 min.) : sd., col. ; 4 3/4 in.
- Suite for five
- Sumerspace - Interscape.
- In 1954, Robert Rauschenberg became the Resident Designer to the Merce Cunningham Dance Company, a position he held for ten years. During that time these friends and collaborators, along with the musician John Cage, created some of the most iconoclastic artworks of the 20th century. This three-DVD set showcases these great artists' work, along with the work of another, filmmaker Charles Atlas. The DVDs are accompanied by an illustrated essay by Bonnie Brooks. Charles Atlas has directed and collaborated on over 35 film or video projects with Merce Cunningham and served as the company's filmmaker-in-residence for ten years (1974-1983). The three films in this collection showcase Atlas's direction and editing of films and include the 2003 revival of Suite for Five, the 1999 revival of Summerspace, and the original cast of Interscape in 2000. Interscape explores the transitions between darkness and light, stillness and exertion, and silence and sound. A detailed and beautifully rendered work, Interscape showcases the essence of the artists Cage, Cunningham and Rauschenberg
- Publication date
- three films by Charles Atlas.
- Interscape was first performed at Eisenhower Theater, Kennedy Center, Washington, DC, April 6th, 2000; Suite for five was first performed May 18, 1956 at University fo Notre Dame, South Bend, IN; Summerspace was first performed at the Eleventh American Dance Festival, August 17, 1958, Connecticut College, New London, CT.
- Production Credits
- Interscape: choreography, Merce Cunningham ; decor and costumes, Interscape mirage, Robert Rauschenberg ; music, John Cage (One to the eighth) ; music performed by Loren Dempster ; director of photography, Jacques Pamart ; editing, Joshua Thorson
- Suite for Five :choreography, Merce Cunningham ; costumes, Robert Rauschenberg ; music, John Cage (Music for piano, no. 4-19) ; music performed by Christian Wolff ; director of photography, Jarred Alterman ; editing, Charles Atlas, Glen Fogel.
- Summerspace: horeography, Merce Cunningham ; decor and costumes, Robert Rauschenberg ; music, Morton Feldman (Ixion) ; music performed by John Cage, David Tudor ; director of photography, Jacques Pamart ; editing, Joshua Thorson.
- Merce Cunningham Dance Company.